MUI Agrees with Ban on Restaurant Sweeping During Ramadan: Mutual Respect is Key
Jakarta — MUI Deputy Chairman Anwar Abbas has expressed his agreement with Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung's prohibition on sweeping operations targeting restaurants during the month of Ramadan. Abbas stressed that mutual respect is of paramount importance.
"I believe there is no need for sweeping operations because we expect the government to have already socialised and educated the public before the fasting month about the need for mutual respect towards other religions, beliefs and their worship practices," Abbas said when contacted on Sunday (15/2/2026).
He called on the government to be present in fostering and supporting an atmosphere of mutual respect, so that those observing the fast would not feel disturbed.
"Those practising their worship need not feel disturbed because the government is already present to safeguard and maintain conditions so that adherents of the religion can worship in peace," he said.
Abbas also stated that Muslims need not conduct sweeping operations as the government would certainly maintain a conducive environment during Ramadan.
"They do not need to carry out sweeping operations because the government has guaranteed a conducive situation for adherents of all religions to practise their worship, and in a few days Muslims will begin fasting during the month of Ramadan," he said.
Previously, Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung affirmed that he would not permit mass organisations to conduct sweeping operations at restaurants during Ramadan. He urged all parties to maintain a peaceful and harmonious atmosphere as the fasting month approaches.
Pramono made the remarks after inaugurating the Kerapatan Gereja Protestan Minahasa (KGPM) church building in the Senen area of Central Jakarta on Saturday (14/2).
According to him, welcoming Ramadan must be done with peace, not with actions that cause unease.
"I wish to affirm that welcoming Ramadan must be filled with peace and harmony," Pramono said in Senen, Central Jakarta, on Saturday (14/2).
The Jakarta Provincial Government, he said, has prepared various measures to ensure the worship period proceeds in an orderly manner. In response to questions about the potential for sweeping operations at eateries by mass organisations, Pramono firmly stated the prohibition.
"As governor, I am responsible for this and I do not permit any sweeping operations," he asserted.
"I believe there is no need for sweeping operations because we expect the government to have already socialised and educated the public before the fasting month about the need for mutual respect towards other religions, beliefs and their worship practices," Abbas said when contacted on Sunday (15/2/2026).
He called on the government to be present in fostering and supporting an atmosphere of mutual respect, so that those observing the fast would not feel disturbed.
"Those practising their worship need not feel disturbed because the government is already present to safeguard and maintain conditions so that adherents of the religion can worship in peace," he said.
Abbas also stated that Muslims need not conduct sweeping operations as the government would certainly maintain a conducive environment during Ramadan.
"They do not need to carry out sweeping operations because the government has guaranteed a conducive situation for adherents of all religions to practise their worship, and in a few days Muslims will begin fasting during the month of Ramadan," he said.
Previously, Jakarta Governor Pramono Anung affirmed that he would not permit mass organisations to conduct sweeping operations at restaurants during Ramadan. He urged all parties to maintain a peaceful and harmonious atmosphere as the fasting month approaches.
Pramono made the remarks after inaugurating the Kerapatan Gereja Protestan Minahasa (KGPM) church building in the Senen area of Central Jakarta on Saturday (14/2).
According to him, welcoming Ramadan must be done with peace, not with actions that cause unease.
"I wish to affirm that welcoming Ramadan must be filled with peace and harmony," Pramono said in Senen, Central Jakarta, on Saturday (14/2).
The Jakarta Provincial Government, he said, has prepared various measures to ensure the worship period proceeds in an orderly manner. In response to questions about the potential for sweeping operations at eateries by mass organisations, Pramono firmly stated the prohibition.
"As governor, I am responsible for this and I do not permit any sweeping operations," he asserted.