MP Proposes Formation of Task Force to Prevent and Handle Sexual Violence in Pesantren
A member of the House of Representatives’ Commission VIII, Muhamad Abdul Azis Sefudin, has proposed the formation of a task force for the prevention and handling of sexual violence crimes (TPKS) in pesantren, involving multiple ministries and institutions alongside local governments.
This proposal was put forward after the exposure of sexual violence allegedly suffered by dozens of students at Ndolo Kusumo Pesantren in Pati Regency, Central Java.
“This task force is essential to ensure that case handling proceeds quickly, in a coordinated manner, and prioritises victims. There must be no more victims who feel alone or afraid to report,” said Azis in a written statement on 5 May 2026.
According to Azis, the task force would also serve as an instrument for prevention through supervision, education, and the establishment of a safe and accessible reporting system for students.
“If we are serious about eliminating these cases, it is not enough to be reactive only when cases emerge. There must be a strong prevention system, strict supervision, and massive education in pesantren environments,” Azis stated.
This PDI Perjuangan politician emphasised the need for collective cross-ministry and institutional efforts to comprehensively resolve this issue. According to him, these recurring incidents are no longer isolated cases but indicate a repeated and systemic pattern.
“The state must not lose to sexual offenders, especially those occurring in educational spaces like pesantren. We need extraordinary measures,” said Azis.
He also encouraged concrete collaboration between the Ministry of Religious Affairs, the Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection (KemenPPPA), and the Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI) in handling and preventing sexual violence in pesantren environments.
“So far, the handling has seemed partial and slow. Victims often do not receive maximum protection, while legal processes drag on. This must be changed with a more integrated approach,” he said.
Previously, hundreds of people from the Pati Santri Alliance for Democracy (Aspirasi) stormed Ndolo Kusumo Pesantren in Tlogosari Village, Tlogowungu Subdistrict, Pati Regency, on Saturday, 2 May 2026. This action was the peak of public outrage over allegations of sexual harassment committed by the pesantren supervisor against dozens of his female students.
The alleged sexual violence implicating a pesantren supervisor in Tlogowungu Subdistrict, Pati Regency, went viral on social media after the Pati City Police Resort elevated the case status to investigation.
Pati Police determined the pesantren supervisor with initials AS as a suspect. The number of victims is said to reach 50 people. The incidents are alleged to have occurred from 2020 to 2026.
The Head of Pati Police, Commissioner General Jaka Wahyudi, said AS failed to attend the scheduled examination call on Monday, 4 May 2026. “The suspect skipped and did not appear for examination,” said the Head of Pati City Police Resort, Commissioner General Jaka Wahyudi, on Tuesday, 5 May 2026.
Jaka stated that after the suspect did not attend the examination call yesterday, investigators will directly arrest the suspect. Pati Police investigators plan to summon the suspect for examination and detention on Monday this week. However, the suspect did not show up and his whereabouts are unknown.