Motive of Jakarta Businessman Who Fired Shots in Canggu Bar: Emotional While Drinking
Suspect HSH (49) appeared with his head bowed as officers escorted him to the Badung Police Criminal Investigation Unit before his case was released to the media on Monday afternoon (20/7/2026). The thin-haired Jakarta businessman wore an orange detainee shirt. His hands were bound with yellow cable ties and his face was covered with a mask.
Before investigators, he revealed the background of his reckless decision to fire live rounds. The unexpected act by HSH (49), who discharged a pistol and injured two people at a bar in the Jalan Pantai Berawa area, North Kuta, Badung, Bali, was triggered by emotions that flared after consuming alcohol. Police confirmed the suspect’s anger was uncontrollable due to the influence of a combination of liquor and three types of narcotics, based on a urine test.
‘The motive is that the suspect was in an emotional state and under the influence of alcohol. We also conducted a urine test on the suspect, with positive results for THC, MDMA, and amphetamine,’ said the Badung Police Chief during a press conference at the Badung Police Headquarters on Monday afternoon.
The incident began when the suspect visited The Shady Pig Bar on Jalan Raya Pantai Berawa in the early hours of Friday (17/7/2026) and became involved in an argument with another patron in the sofa area near the music performance. In a heavily intoxicated state, the verbal dispute quickly escalated, sparking a physical fight at the location.
‘So, at the scene, the suspect was involved in an argument with one patron. Then during the argument, the suspect was provoked, his emotions ignited, so he drew a weapon,’ said the Badung Police Criminal Investigation Unit Head, AKP Azarul Ahmad.
Azarul acknowledged that the cause of the argument is still being investigated by the police. The suspect is currently still undergoing examination. ‘We have only conducted one in-depth session or examination since the arrest yesterday. We will continue to investigate his statement,’ Azarul said.
On that occasion, police also confirmed that one victim is a Moroccan national with the initials EA (25), not Chinese as previously stated. The other victim is an Indonesian citizen with the initials IMYM (32), who worked as a security guard at the nightlife venue.
During the commotion, IMYM and EA attempted to break up the fight to prevent it from escalating. However, the suspect, who had lost control, immediately drew a firearm from his waist and fired a shot while they were intervening.
The position of victim IMYM was in front, while victim EA was directly behind IMYM. The suspect, who was intoxicated, fired only one shot, which struck both victims simultaneously.
After injuring the two victims at the scene, the perpetrator immediately fled to Jakarta that afternoon via I Gusti Ngurah Rai Airport, Badung, Bali. The perpetrator reportedly hid the Glock firearm he used at his private residence in Jakarta before heading to the airport.
‘On Friday at around 2 p.m. local time, the suspect departed from Bali to Jakarta. The weapon used was taken from Bali to Jakarta and placed at his residence in Jakarta,’ explained Azarul Ahmad.
The businessman’s escape was finally halted at Soekarno-Hatta Airport as he was about to fly to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Swift action by the police, in collaboration with immigration authorities, succeeded in preventing the suspect from fleeing.
‘That night when we secured him, the suspect was preparing to depart from Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur via Soekarno-Hatta Airport. The case was uncovered in less than 24 hours thanks to collaboration with Soekarno-Hatta Immigration and Ngurah Rai Immigration,’ Azarul concluded.
For his actions, the suspect is charged under Article 466 Paragraph (2) of the Criminal Code concerning aggravated assault resulting in serious injury, which carries a maximum prison sentence of five years. ‘Further processing stages, such as detention, will be carried out against the suspect,’ Azarul stressed.