Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Ministry of Religious Affairs Closes Pesantren in Pati After Founder Designated as Sexual Assault Suspect

| Source: CNN_ID Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy
Ministry of Religious Affairs Closes Pesantren in Pati After Founder Designated as Sexual Assault Suspect
Image: CNN_ID

The caregiver and founder of a pesantren in Pati, Central Java, with initials AS, has been designated as a suspect in the alleged sexual violence against dozens of female students. Police summoned AS for examination as a suspect over the weekend. Additionally, the Ministry of Religious Affairs (Kemenag) has closed the pesantren located in Tlogowungu, Pati Regency.

The case came to light after a former student spoke out about the improper conduct by the founder and caregiver of the Pati pesantren. The alleged sexual violence was reported by one victim accompanied by her family in September 2024.

Head of the Pati Kemenag Office, Ahmad Syaikhu, stated that the government has issued three decisions regarding the alleged molestation incident at the Pati pesantren by one of its caregivers. “From the Directorate General of Pesantren of the Ministry of Religious Affairs, there are three recommendations. First, temporary closure, meaning no new students for this academic year; second, the caregiver must be separated from the foundation, meaning not part of that foundation. The third recommendation is that if the first and second points are not heeded, the Ministry of Religious Affairs will close it permanently,” said Syaikhu at the Pati Regency Pendopo on Sunday (3/5), quoted from detikJateng.

Syaikhu said the pesantren has 252 students, consisting of 112 female students and the rest male students. “The school levels range from RA, MI, SMP, and MA. Not only schools under the Ministry of Religious Affairs but also other departments,” he explained.

Syaikhu added that for sixth-grade MI students currently undergoing exams, they will continue testing accompanied by teachers and Pati Kemenag. “For the sixth-grade MI students, since Monday is when exams start until 12 May 2025, the sixth graders will stay there accompanied by their teachers,” he clarified.

“Then for classes 1 to 5, and Aliyah class 1 and others, there are two options: first, online learning, or second, transferring to another madrasah. Indeed, there are 48 orphans in the pesantren; we have communicated with foundations in Pati and Kajen to accept them,” he explained.

Additionally, he revealed that some female and male students have been taken by their families. “Since yesterday, some students have been taken by their families, and today we asked the foundation to meet with parents to decide whether the children will be transferred or continue with online learning; we haven’t received information on the decision yet,” he clarified.

At the same location, Acting Regent of Pati, Risma Ardhi Chandra, confirmed that the pesantren in Tlogowungu has been closed due to the sexual violence case allegedly victimising dozens of female students. He also ensured no new student registrations for the upcoming academic year at the pesantren. “Closure has been carried out, and no new students will be accepted, and for sixth graders still taking exams, they will stay there or be evacuated elsewhere; that is the authority of the Pati Regency Kemenag. Because activities are being conducted there to mitigate any urgent issues, so our students don’t face problems, and by the end of this semester,” he explained.

Victim reports since 2024

Previously, Head of Dinsos P3AKB of Pati Regency, Aviani Tritanti Venusia, said the case began when a former student reported the alleged sexual violence she experienced. Her office accompanied one victim who reported in September 2024.

She said at that time the victim received assistance from Pati Dinsos, and the case had been reported to the police. However, the alleged perpetrator was not arrested. “The child’s psyche is disturbed; the victim was brave enough to report because she had left the pesantren, not while inside. They had kept it hidden for a long time, only reporting to us and the police after graduating,” Aviani told reporters at her office on Thursday (30/4), quoted from detikJateng.

Head of UPTD Protection for Women and Children (PPA), Hartono, also said the victim reported to Pati Dinsos in 2024. However, a year later, the case had no developments. “Last year 2025, the father came asking about the case progress, because since 24 September 2024 until September 2025—a year—the case had no progress,” Hartono explained to reporters at his office last week.

According to him, it was only on Monday (27/4) that police conducted scene processing. There were four locations for the crime scene processing, such as the girls’ dormitory, learning room, and two kyai rooms.

Meanwhile, angry residents over the alleged depraved acts by the pesantren founder demonstrated by storming the pesantren in Tlogowungu, Pati Regency, on Saturday (2/5).

In this case, police have designated the pesantren founder with initials AS as a suspect in sexual violence, allegedly having raped and molested dozens of female students. “For the case handled directly by the Polsek from the Satreskrim Polresta Pati in the PPA unit. The information we have is that the case is at the suspect designation stage and awaiting further process,” said Tlogowungu Police Chief, AKP Mujahid, met at the location after the demonstration at the pesantren last Saturday, quoted from detikJateng.

He said the perpetrator AS has been designated as a suspect but not yet detained. “The perpetrator is already a suspect; yesterday we met with the PPA Unit of Sat Reskrim Polresta Pati stating that the current process is suspect designation,” Mujahid explained. “Detention has not been carried out. For further info, await the release from Polresta Pati,” he continued.

Separately, the next day, Polresta Pati stated that they had summoned the pesantren founder for examination as a suspect. “Regarding the suspect designation, it was designated on 28 April 2026, for the next steps we will conduct summoning (today). Later we will confirm the investigation and we will sa”

View JSON | Print