Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Ministry of Human Rights prioritises establishment of Kampung Redam to address social conflicts

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Social Policy
Klungkung, Bali — The Ministry of Human Rights (HAM) is prioritising a national programme to establish Human Rights-Aware Villages (Desa Sadar HAM) and Kampung Redam in various regions as a strategy to address social conflicts.

"Kampung Redam is expected to become a centre for social and economic recovery that ensures stronger fraternity and national unity," said Special Staff to the Minister of Human Rights, Thomas Harming Suwarta, on the sidelines of a meeting with the Klungkung Regency Government in Bali on Wednesday.

Thomas said the Ministry of Human Rights would expand the reach of the national programme, including in Bali, whilst using the experience on the Island of the Gods as a model of good practice.

He explained that Kampung Redam carries the meaning of reconciliation and peace, which is considered relevant to the context of regions that have experienced social conflict. Meanwhile, Desa Sadar HAM emphasises awareness of the respect, protection and fulfilment of human rights in conflict areas.

Thomas added that the experience of resolving a kanorayang case — the most severe traditional sanction involving the expulsion of community members from their customary village on Nusa Penida Island, Klungkung Regency — serves as a good example that did not result in prolonged consequences.

According to him, social conflicts can be resolved peacefully through mediation, discussion and communication so they do not escalate into larger conflicts.

"What happened in Klungkung Regency, in Nusa Penida District, which was handled by the Ministry of Human Rights through synergy and communication with the Klungkung Regency Government — we have received an update that the issue has been resolved satisfactorily," he said.

Thomas added that the successful conflict resolution serves as a positive record and example of good practice in handling community conflicts.

According to data from the Bali Provincial Office of the Ministry of Human Rights, seven households previously affected by the traditional sanction have now returned to Nusa Penida.

They have resumed normal life, including the fulfilment of basic rights as citizens, particularly the sense of security to reside and carry out daily activities, the right to employment, and access to education for school-age children.

"We hope the reconciliation process can proceed even better. The deputy regent has also provided assurance that this process can gradually deliver positive outcomes for both the community and the regional government," he added.

Meanwhile, Klungkung Deputy Regent Tjokorda Gde Surya Putra expressed appreciation for the attention and active collaboration of the Ministry of Human Rights in resolving the kanorayang traditional sanction case in Banjar Adat Sental Kangin, Ped Village, Nusa Penida District.

The collaboration serves as a concrete example of synergy between the central and regional governments in handling social conflicts rooted in customary law through a human rights approach.

"As of today, the kanorayang issue has been resolved. The residents who were subject to the sanction have returned to the community," said Deputy Regent Tjokorda.
View JSON | Print