Ministry of Defence Asserts Control of Indonesian Airspace Remains in Indonesia's Hands
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - The Ministry of Defence (Kemenhan) has asserted that control over Indonesian airspace remains entirely in the hands of the Indonesian government. This statement comes in response to circulating documents and allegations of an agreement allowing US military aircraft unrestricted entry and exit from Indonesian territory. “Authority, control, and supervision over Indonesian airspace lie entirely with the Indonesian state,” stated the Head of the Defence Public Relations and Information Bureau of Kemenhan, Brigadier General TNI Rico Ricardo Sirait, in his remarks on Monday (13/4/2026). Kemenhan also emphasised that any planned activities must comply with each country’s national laws. In the Indonesian context, all processes must follow statutory regulations, institutional mechanisms, and national political decisions. “There is no room for unilateral implementation outside Indonesian law,” said Rico. Therefore, any discourse, proposals, or draft cooperation mechanisms must undergo careful, stringent, and multi-layered discussions before further consideration in accordance with the mechanisms, authorities, and deliberations of all relevant stakeholders. He claimed that the currently circulating documents are still initial drafts in the internal and inter-agency discussion stage. “Those documents are not a final agreement, do not have binding legal force, and cannot serve as the basis for official policy,” Rico said. Indonesia, he added, continues to uphold defence cooperation with all countries based on principles of mutual respect, mutual trust, and mutual benefit, without sidelining national interests and state sovereignty. Previously, the X account @Its_ereko claimed that the United States is seeking flight access across all Indonesian airspace. That account also mentioned that Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin would sign the related agreement in Washington, United States.