Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Minister pledges trauma recovery support for train collision victims

| Source: ANTARA_EN | Infrastructure
Minister pledges trauma recovery support for train collision victims
Image: ANTARA_EN

Speaking in Jakarta on Tuesday, Wihaji expressed condolences and concern over the collision between a commuter line train (KRL) and a long-distance train at Bekasi Timur Station, West Java, on Monday night (April 27). He said the current focus of relevant authorities is handling the victims.

“We will certainly follow up. If there is a need for consultations, family-related support, or trauma healing, those are areas within our mandate,” Wihaji said.

Earlier, an accident occurred involving the Argo Bromo Anggrek train and a commuter line train at Bekasi Timur Station on Monday night.

According to the chronology, at 8:30 p.m. local time, the Argo Bromo Anggrek train departed from Gambir Station bound for Surabaya.

At 8:52 p.m., a commuter line train coded 5181B bound for Jakarta struck a stalled taxi at a level crossing on Ampera Street. Another commuter train, coded 5568A bound for Cikarang, was held at Bekasi Timur Station.

At 8:57 p.m., the Argo Bromo Anggrek train collided with the commuter train at Bekasi Timur Station. The locomotive penetrated up to halfway into the last carriage of the commuter train.

The timeline is based on witness accounts at the scene.

State railway company PT Kereta Api Indonesia (Persero) reported that the death toll from the collision between the commuter line and the long-distance train at Bekasi Timur Station has risen to 14.

KAI President Director Bobby Rasyidin said that based on the latest data as of 8:45 a.m., 14 people had been confirmed dead.

The deceased victims have been taken to the Polri Hospital in Kramat Jati for further identification, while 84 injured victims have received medical treatment at various healthcare facilities.

Related news: Indonesian parliament calls for probe into Bekasi train collision

Related news: President Prabowo allocates US$232 mln to upgrade rail crossings

Translator: Mecca, Azis Kurmala

View JSON | Print