Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Minister Ensures Comprehensive Support for Teen Raped by 27 Men in Sampang

| Source: DETIK Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy
Minister Ensures Comprehensive Support for Teen Raped by 27 Men in Sampang
Image: DETIK

Minister of Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection (PPPA), Arifah Fauzi, has asserted that her ministry is overseeing the handling of the alleged rape of a 15-year-old girl by 27 men in Sampang, East Java. She confirmed the victim will receive comprehensive protection, assistance, and recovery. “The best interests of the child must be the top priority. The state must not allow children to face violence alone. The Ministry of PPPA ensures every victim receives protection, legal assistance, psychological services, and other thorough support,” Arifah said in a statement on Tuesday (13/7/2026). The Ministry of PPPA has conducted intensive coordination with the East Java Provincial Government, the Sampang Regency Government, the UPTD PPA, the police, and related service agencies to ensure all the victim’s needs are met. The ministry is also pushing for the provision of ongoing psychosocial support, health services, legal aid, and the strengthening of protection systems for affected children. Arifah urged the public not to disseminate the victim’s identity or build narratives that blame the victim. According to her, public support through protecting the child’s privacy and the ongoing legal process is an important part of realising comprehensive child protection. “We appreciate the swift action of law enforcement officers in handling this case. There is no room for perpetrators of sexual violence against children. Every perpetrator must be held accountable for their actions before the law, and the state must ensure victims receive justice and proper recovery,” she said. Arifah stressed that sexual violence against children can cause long-term psychological impacts, such as trauma, anxiety, fear, loss of security, and disruptions to social and emotional development. She asked the Sampang UPTD PPA to optimise the use of the 2026 Non-Physical Special Allocation Fund (DAK) for the Protection of Women and Children for the victim’s protection and recovery. “Preventing violence against children is the responsibility of all elements of society. We invite all parents, families, communities, educational units, and the surrounding environment to be more sensitive to signs of violence and to dare to report if they know, see, or experience suspected violence against children. Child protection can only be realised through the care and collaboration of all parties,” she stated. The case came to light after the family noticed irregularities. The victim’s parents felt something was wrong because they repeatedly found their daughter returning home late at night, even until the early hours of the morning. Growing suspicious, the parents immediately questioned the victim. The girl instantly broke down in tears and confessed the ordeal that had befallen her. “The family suspected the victim had been raped by several people,” said Sampang Police Criminal Investigation Unit Head, Inspector Nur Fajri Alim, to detikJatim on Saturday (11/7). Upon hearing the painful confession, the family immediately went to the Sampang Police headquarters to file an official report. The family demanded law enforcement officers thoroughly investigate all perpetrators involved in the circle of sexual violence. Sampang Police Chief AKBP Hartono stated the incident occurred over a period of four months. The victim’s family only reported the case on 29 June 2026 because the victim was suffering from severe trauma. “Within the period from February 2026 to May 2026, around 9.00 p.m. Western Indonesia Time,” Hartono said during a press conference on Friday (10/7). To date, police have managed to secure 12 perpetrators. Meanwhile, 15 other perpetrators remain at large and are under intensive pursuit by officers.

View JSON | Print