Minister Asks Police to Take Action Against Inmates Involved in Love Scamming: Including Our Employees!
“(Investigate thoroughly and take firm action) against anyone involved, including our employees,” stressed Minister Agus during a press conference on Monday (11/5/2026).
Regarding allegations of involvement by rogue elements in this criminal operation, Minister Agus stated that Lampung Police Chief Irjen Helfi Assegaf explained that, according to regulations, any rogue correctional staff must first be examined internally by the Directorate General of Corrections (Ditjenpas) under the Ministry of Immigration and Corrections (Kemenimipas). Only after that will they be processed by the police.
“We already requested it earlier, but according to the Police Chief, the rules require an internal examination first. The Police Chief may explain later. But certainly, our employees in the corrections environment are involved,” clarified Minister Agus.
He expressed commitment to stopping criminal practices from behind prison and detention walls. So far, Minister Agus explained, the police have examined 150 people in the love scamming syndicate case at Kotabumi Class IIB Detention Centre.
“We will receive the examination results from the Police Chief after he conducts examinations of approximately 100, more than 150 people examined, carried out at Lampung Police Headquarters. Those involving employees will be delved into further,” said Minister Agus.
Minister Agus reiterated that detention staff proven to have facilitated this crime will be handed over to the police for criminal processing. “If they are indeed proven to be part of this case, we will hand them over again to Lampung Police Headquarters for investigation,” he concluded.
Previously, it was reported that the Directorate General of Corrections (Ditjenpas) of the Ministry of Immigration and Corrections (Kemenimipas), together with Lampung Police, uncovered a scam syndicate using the love scamming modus operandi. A total of 145 inmates residing at Kotabumi Class II B Detention Centre are strongly suspected of being involved in this crime.
“So initially we deployed a team and found evidence as conveyed by the Police Chief, evidence such as mobile phones and ATM cards. From there, we coordinated with Lampung Police until this case was uncovered,” said Minister of Immigration and Corrections Agus Andrianto, quoted by detikSumbagsel.
Minister Agus assured that teams from his side and Lampung Police will thoroughly investigate this case by jointly developing leads. “Up to now, work is still ongoing, many parties are still being questioned, including from Kotabumi Class II B Detention Centre,” he added.
On the same occasion, Lampung Police Chief Irjen Helfi Assegaf said the case was uncovered on 30 April 2026. Helfi detailed that the hundreds of inmates came from blocks A, B, and C of Kotabumi Class II B Detention Centre.
In this case, police have named 137 suspects. The roles of the suspects vary.
“Their roles differ; there are openers who make the initial introduction. Then workers who persuade victims to date, and finally shooters, who execute or extort money from victims,” explained Helfi.