Minister Arifah apologises for inappropriate statement on carriage relocation
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Minister for Women’s Empowerment and Child Protection Arifah Fauzi has apologised for her inappropriate statement following the train accident incident in East Bekasi, West Java. “I offer my sincerest apologies to all members of the public, especially to the victims and their families who felt hurt or uncomfortable by that statement,” said Minister PPPA Arifah Fauzi in Jakarta on Wednesday. She stressed that the safety of all members of society is the top priority, whether women or men. “The government’s primary focus at this time is to ensure the best possible handling for all victims, both those who have passed away and those who have been injured,” said Arifah Fauzi. She added that her statement was not intended to disregard the safety of other passengers. “There was no intention on my part to disregard the safety of other passengers. I understand that in a time of mourning like this, the main focus is on safety, victim handling, and empathy for all affected families,” said Arifah Fauzi. According to her, the entire handling process for the incident has been carried out quickly, fairly, and comprehensively. The Ministry of PPPA is present to ensure that the rights of victims and children left behind by their parents in this tragedy are not overlooked. “We are deeply saddened by the loss of lives in this incident. The Ministry of PPPA is committed to providing psychological support, protection, and necessary assistance, especially for children and families of victims who are experiencing trauma from this event,” said Minister Arifah Fauzi. She also invited all parties to focus together on victim handling, prayers, and efforts to improve the public transportation safety system so that similar tragedies do not happen again. “The safety of all passengers must be the highest priority in every future transportation policy,” said Arifah Fauzi. Previously, she had suggested relocating women’s KRL carriages to the middle, following the collision between the Argo Bromo Anggrek train and the Commuter Line KRL at East Bekasi Station, West Java. She made this statement after visiting accident victims at Bekasi City Hospital on Tuesday (28/4).