Manokwari district government urged to review dismissal of 235 healthcare workers
Manokwari (ANTARA) — Chairman of Committee III of the Regional Representative Council (DPD RI), Filep Wamafma, has called on the Manokwari district government to review its policy of dismissing 235 contract healthcare workers stationed at various health facilities.
A number of the affected healthcare workers had served for over a decade but were not accommodated in the selection process for Government Employees with Employment Agreements (PPPK) within the district administration.
"On Thursday (19 February), I met with the healthcare workers. They conveyed the problems they are experiencing. I hope the regional government will review this policy," Filep said in Manokwari, Papua Barat, on Friday.
He noted that the healthcare workers were appointed as contract staff through a decree issued by the Manokwari regent but were dismissed merely by way of a circular letter from the Head of the Manokwari Health Office.
The affected workers come from 16 community health centres and one hospital across the Prafi, Masni and Manokwari city areas, underscoring the need for a prudent solution from the regional government to prevent disruption to health services.
"They are questioning the dismissal mechanism, which they consider procedurally improper and unfair," Filep said.
Furthermore, the healthcare workers have challenged the rationale of budget constraints, arguing that operational funding for health services does not rely solely on the regional budget (APBD) but also draws on claims from the national health insurance scheme (BPJS Kesehatan) and other funding sources.
The dismissal of hundreds of contract healthcare workers is feared to have a detrimental impact on service quality at community health centres and hospitals alike, given that the ratio of healthcare workers in Manokwari remains critically low.
"Health is a primary asset. If medical personnel are neglected or even dismissed, it is inconsistent with the Papua development programme," Filep said.
He said he had attempted to contact the Acting Head of the Manokwari Health Office to seek clarification on the dismissal of the 235 medical workers but had yet to receive a response from the official concerned.
DPD RI Committee III plans to convene a meeting with both the provincial and district governments to discuss various issues that could potentially hinder efforts to improve the quality of health services.
The regional government should prioritise medical personnel in every intake of prospective civil servants (CPNS), who could subsequently be distributed to other areas such as the Arfak Mountains or South Manokwari.
"There are still many health facilities that lack medical personnel. Regional leaders must ensure that staff recruitment prioritises basic services for the public," Filep said.
Previously, the Manokwari Health Office issued a circular letter dated 8 January 2026 regarding the dismissal of 235 healthcare workers owing to budget reductions from the central government. The letter stated that the 2025 honorary staff decrees expired on 31 December 2025.
Effective 5 January 2026, hundreds of honorary health sector workers in Manokwari were instructed not to report for duty until further notice.
A number of the affected healthcare workers had served for over a decade but were not accommodated in the selection process for Government Employees with Employment Agreements (PPPK) within the district administration.
"On Thursday (19 February), I met with the healthcare workers. They conveyed the problems they are experiencing. I hope the regional government will review this policy," Filep said in Manokwari, Papua Barat, on Friday.
He noted that the healthcare workers were appointed as contract staff through a decree issued by the Manokwari regent but were dismissed merely by way of a circular letter from the Head of the Manokwari Health Office.
The affected workers come from 16 community health centres and one hospital across the Prafi, Masni and Manokwari city areas, underscoring the need for a prudent solution from the regional government to prevent disruption to health services.
"They are questioning the dismissal mechanism, which they consider procedurally improper and unfair," Filep said.
Furthermore, the healthcare workers have challenged the rationale of budget constraints, arguing that operational funding for health services does not rely solely on the regional budget (APBD) but also draws on claims from the national health insurance scheme (BPJS Kesehatan) and other funding sources.
The dismissal of hundreds of contract healthcare workers is feared to have a detrimental impact on service quality at community health centres and hospitals alike, given that the ratio of healthcare workers in Manokwari remains critically low.
"Health is a primary asset. If medical personnel are neglected or even dismissed, it is inconsistent with the Papua development programme," Filep said.
He said he had attempted to contact the Acting Head of the Manokwari Health Office to seek clarification on the dismissal of the 235 medical workers but had yet to receive a response from the official concerned.
DPD RI Committee III plans to convene a meeting with both the provincial and district governments to discuss various issues that could potentially hinder efforts to improve the quality of health services.
The regional government should prioritise medical personnel in every intake of prospective civil servants (CPNS), who could subsequently be distributed to other areas such as the Arfak Mountains or South Manokwari.
"There are still many health facilities that lack medical personnel. Regional leaders must ensure that staff recruitment prioritises basic services for the public," Filep said.
Previously, the Manokwari Health Office issued a circular letter dated 8 January 2026 regarding the dismissal of 235 healthcare workers owing to budget reductions from the central government. The letter stated that the 2025 honorary staff decrees expired on 31 December 2025.
Effective 5 January 2026, hundreds of honorary health sector workers in Manokwari were instructed not to report for duty until further notice.