Mama Sinta Denies TNI Intimidation Claims, Says She Traveled to Jakarta at Her Own Expense
Jakarta — Indigenous woman and environmental activist from Merauke, South Papua, Yasinta Moiwend, known as Mama Sinta, has denied claims that she was intimidated by TNI officials and flown to Jakarta on a businessman’s private plane. She stressed that her trip to the capital was self-initiated and self-funded to seek justice over the unauthorised use of her face in the documentary titled ‘Pesta Babi’. Her denial responds to narratives circulating on the local media account @laolao_papuam. ‘That is not true, my child, it is not true. I took a regular passenger plane. I did not travel to Merauke or Boven Digoel on Haji Isam’s helicopter. That is false, it is nonsense. That is provocation,’ Mama Sinta said in a video on Sunday, 31 May 2026. She confirmed she has never met Haji Isam and travelled independently from Wanam to Merauke, purchased a flight ticket to Jayapura, and then to Jakarta. Regarding claims of military involvement, the 62-year-old firmly denied any threats from the armed forces. Previously reported, Mama Sinta has formally taken the documentary ‘Pesta Babi’ matter to the legal arena. Mama Sinta filed a report against the Chairman of LBH Merauke, identified as JTW, with the Jakarta Metropolitan Police (Polda Metro Jaya) over the unauthorised use of her image in the film. The report was received and registered by Polda Metro Jaya under case number LP/B/3843/V/2026/SPKT/Polda Metro Jaya dated 29 May 2026. Mama Sinta’s legal representative, TS Hamonangan Daulay, stated that the reported individual is the Chairman of LBH Merauke. ‘We are reporting an individual. The Chairman of LBH Merauke, whose initials are JTW,’ he said, quoted on Saturday, 30 May 2026. According to him, the report concerns the alleged violation of Mama Sinta’s personal privacy and rights through the documentary’s screening.