Lubuk Sidup Suspension Bridge Restores Economy and Mobility in Aceh Tamiang
This temporary infrastructure has proven effective in reviving residents’ mobility after it was previously disrupted by a hydrometeorological disaster that struck northern Sumatra at the end of November 2025.
Every day, the bridge is traversed by hundreds of residents’ vehicles. Workers use it to reach their workplaces, while students rely on it as the main access route to school.
The presence of this suspension bridge not only smooths mobility but also supports the continuity of economic, educational, and social activities for communities in the two connected sub-districts.
One resident of Lubuk Sidup Village, Sekerak Sub-district, Hendra, said the emergency bridge’s existence aids daily life for the community. Hendra assessed that the reopened access allows residents to carry out activities more smoothly.
“We are greatly helped by the presence of this bridge,” said Hendra, in a written statement on Monday (4/5/2026).
It is known that previously, residents relied on a concrete bridge as the main access between sub-districts. However, that bridge was destroyed after being hit by flooding at the end of November 2025, temporarily hindering local mobility.
In response, the Task Force for Accelerating Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (Satgas PRR) Post-Sumatra Disaster quickly built an emergency bridge as a temporary solution.
This step is deemed appropriate because it restores inter-regional connectivity in a relatively short time, ensuring the community does not experience prolonged isolation.
For these efforts, residents have expressed appreciation and gratitude to Satgas PRR for promptly providing reconnection access.
“We are very grateful to the government,” added Hendra.
Although the current suspension bridge has provided significant benefits, the community still hopes for the construction of a permanent bridge at the site.
The community desires more robust and comfortable infrastructure to better support long-term mobility.
Previously, the Head of Satgas PRR Post-Sumatra Disaster, Muhammad Tito Karnavian, assured that infrastructure recovery in the affected areas would continue, progressing from mere functional operations to permanent infrastructure supporting community activities.
He emphasised this during a press conference following the Coordinating Team Meeting of Satgas PRR at the RI Ministry of Coordinating Human Development and Culture (Kemenko PMK) Complex, Jakarta, on Monday (6/4/).
“The work (repairing infrastructure) continues. I truly appreciate the efforts of TNI/Polri who do not stop, then BNPB all moving, and the Minister of Public Works (Dody Hanggodo) is also extraordinary,” he concluded.