Lawyer Claims Nadiem Forced to Attend Hearing Despite Illness, Prosecutor Denies
JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - The lawyer for former Minister of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology Nadiem Makarim, Ari Yusuf, stated that his client is ill but was forced by the Public Prosecutors (JPU) to attend the continuation of the trial for the alleged corruption case involving the procurement of Chromebook-based laptops today, Wednesday (22/4/2026). “Today he (Nadiem) was forced by the JPU to attend the hearing, even though he has been declared ill; this is a serious human rights violation, the JPU is acting arbitrarily,” Ari said when contacted by Kompas.com on Wednesday night. Ari stated that the panel of judges and prosecutors had already received direct information from the doctor treating Nadiem. The medical team said Nadiem requires intensive care because his condition is life-threatening. However, up until yesterday, Nadiem was still attending the trial. At the hearing scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, Nadiem, who had been brought to the Corruption Court at the Central Jakarta District Court, decided not to attend the courtroom. Even though he was in the holding cell on the basement floor. The Head of the Prosecution Team, Roy Riady, denied that his side forced Nadiem to attend the hearing. “When picked up from the detention centre, he was in good health, but when about to be brought to the courtroom, we suddenly received information that he was ill, and we did not receive a doctor’s letter at that time,” Roy said when confirmed. Based on the medical certificate received by Kompas.com, Nadiem complained of pain when swallowing, headaches, cough, weakness, and cold sweats. The letter explained that Nadiem refused medical procedures including infusion, drug injections according to complaints, and blood laboratory tests. Doctors from Kemayoran Hospital stated that no indications for inpatient treatment were found and Nadiem was assessed as still able to carry out daily activities. The panel of judges decided to postpone the Chromebook hearing to Monday (27/4/2026) after Nadiem and his legal team did not attend the hearing.