Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

KPK Says Travel Bans Can Now Only Be Imposed on Suspects

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Legal
Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has stated that it can only impose overseas travel bans on suspects, not witnesses.

KPK Chairman Setyo Budiyanto said this policy has been in effect at the anti-graft body since Law Number 20 of 2025 concerning the Criminal Procedure Code (KUHAP) came into force on 2 January 2026.

"Yes, that is one of the matters that has indeed become the basis from a regulatory and legal standpoint. Because with the new KUHAP in effect, travel bans can only be imposed on suspects, not witnesses," Setyo said at the KPK's Juang Building in Jakarta on Friday.

Setyo made the statement after Hajj tour operator Maktour owner Fuad Hasan Masyhur's overseas travel ban was not extended in connection with the alleged corruption case involving Hajj quota determination and pilgrimage operations at the Ministry of Religious Affairs in 2023-2024.

Meanwhile, the KPK extended the overseas travel bans for only two suspects in the Hajj quota case.

They are former Religious Affairs Minister Yaqut Cholil Qoumas, and Ishfah Abidal Aziz, also known as Gus Alex, a former special staff member during Yaqut's tenure as minister.

The KUHAP law was previously signed by President Prabowo Subianto and promulgated by State Secretary Minister Prasetyo Hadi on 17 December 2025.

Under Article 369 of the KUHAP, the legislation came into effect on 2 January 2026.
View JSON | Print