Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

KPK Extends Detention Period of Former Minister of Religious Affairs Yaqut in Detention Centre

| Source: DETIK Translated from Indonesian | Legal
KPK Extends Detention Period of Former Minister of Religious Affairs Yaqut in Detention Centre
Image: DETIK

The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has extended the detention period of former Minister of Religious Affairs (Menag) Yaqut Cholil Qoumas (YCQ) in the detention centre. The extension of detention is for the next 40 days.

“Today, the investigators carried out the first extension of detention for Suspect Brother YCQ. After the initial detention for 20 days, today the extension is being carried out for 40 days ahead,” said KPK spokesperson Budi Prasetyo at the KPK building in South Jakarta on Tuesday (31/3/2026).

Budi explained that the extension of the detention period was carried out according to the investigators’ needs. He said the investigators will complete Yaqut’s case file.

“Because the investigators still need time to gather additional statements to complete the investigation file for this case, so that it can later be ready for stage two, entering the prosecution stage,” he stated.

Yaqut was previously under house arrest on Thursday (19/3). Yaqut returned to the KPK detention centre on Tuesday (24/3).

The KPK’s decision then drew criticism from many parties. KPK leaders, deputies, and spokespersons were also reported to the KPK Oversight Council regarding the matter.

The KPK then conveyed an apology for the step of changing the house arrest status of Yaqut in the 2023-2024 Hajj quota corruption case. The apology was delivered by KPK Deputy for Enforcement and Execution Asep Guntur Rahayu.

“We certainly, on this Eid day, apologise for the commotion that has occurred,” said Asep at the KPK building in South Jakarta, as quoted on Friday (27/3).

View JSON | Print