Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

KPK Extends Detention of Former Deputy Minister Silmy Karim by 40 Days to Trace Extortion Money Flows

| Source: VIVA Translated from Indonesian | Legal
KPK Extends Detention of Former Deputy Minister Silmy Karim by 40 Days to Trace Extortion Money Flows
Image: VIVA

The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has extended the detention period of former Deputy Minister of Immigration and Corrections (Imipas) Silmy Karim in a case of alleged extortion related to the processing of immigration documents for foreign nationals (WNA). The extension is for the next 40 days, effective from 24 June for Silmy, and 23 June for the other suspects. KPK spokesperson Budi Prasetyo stated that investigators are still intensively probing the alleged extortion committed by Silmy and his associates, necessitating the extension of detention for the suspects. “Progress is ongoing to complete the necessary evidence to shed light on the criminal event,” he said on Tuesday (23/6/2026). Investigators are currently scheduling the examination of a number of witnesses to obtain their statements, including delving into the flow of money that reached immigration officials. “We continue to examine a number of witnesses who are believed to have knowledge of the sequence of events and the flow of money received in the case in question,” he explained. Furthermore, this extension of detention is required to ensure the investigation process can proceed effectively, optimally, and comprehensively. The KPK has an interest in safeguarding the integrity of the law enforcement process, including ensuring all evidence can be obtained in full and preventing the potential destruction of evidence. For context, the KPK has named eight suspects in the immigration document processing case. The eight suspects include Deputy Minister of Imipas Silmy Karim (SK), Acting Director General of Immigration for 2024-2025 Saffar Muhammad Godam (SMG), and Head of the Regional Office of the Directorate General of Immigration for West Java, who previously served as Director of Stay Permits and Immigration Status, Jaya Saputra (JS). Prior to being named suspects, the KPK conducted intensive examinations on Wednesday evening (3/6) following a sting operation (OTT) in West Jakarta that began on Tuesday (2/6). “Subsequently, based on the sufficiency of evidence, the KPK has also named eight people as suspects,” said KPK spokesperson Budi Prasetyo on Thursday (7/6/2026). During the sting operation, the anti-corruption agency secured at least 18 individuals. However, only eight were named as suspects, while the remainder were released. “The other 10 individuals currently have witness status and were therefore released,” he clarified.

Tags: berita
View JSON | Print