KPK Admits Passivity in MBG Investigation Due to Prior Coercive Measures by Attorney General's Office
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has affirmed that the investigation into the alleged corruption case of the Free Nutritious Meal (MBG) programme within the National Nutrition Agency (BGN) has not been permanently halted, but rather temporarily suspended. This clarification was made to correct its previous statement at the parliamentary complex in Senayan, Jakarta, on Wednesday (17/6), which mentioned that the MBG case investigation was only temporarily stopped or postponed to be resumed at an appropriate time. “There is no administrative plan yet to stop the investigation,” said KPK Chairman Setyo Budiyanto to journalists in Jakarta on Thursday. According to Setyo, the temporary suspension was implemented because the case handling has entered a stage requiring legal action by another law enforcement apparatus. “If coercive measures and all sorts of things have already been taken, for the time being we do not need to carry out any more activities because at that time the stage was still an investigation,” he said. Previously, on 3 June 2026, the Attorney General’s Office named former BGN Head Dadan Hindayana, former BGN Deputy Head Lodewyk Pusung, and Sony Sanjaya as suspects in the alleged corruption case concerning the governance of the MBG programme. The Attorney General’s Office suspects the trio appointed several foundations that did not meet the requirements and had connections to them to manage MBG kitchens or the Nutrition Fulfilment Service Units (SPPG). Additionally, investigators also suspect price mark-ups occurred in several procurements of goods and services, resulting in state financial losses. On 8 June 2026, the KPK revealed that the institution had previously conducted an investigation into the alleged corruption related to the MBG programme at BGN before the Attorney General’s Office announced the detention of the agency’s former leadership.