Komnas HAM's Response to Gibran's Proposal to Involve Ad Hoc Judges in the Andrie Case
The National Human Rights Commission (Komnas HAM) has welcomed Vice President Gibran Rakabuming Raka’s proposal to involve professionals as ad hoc judges in the planned attempted murder case against Andrie Yunus.
Komnas HAM Commissioner Saurlin Pandapotan Siagian stated that the body appreciates the central government’s efforts to realise its commitment to a transparent, accountable, and just judicial process.
“However, we hope the government also considers the public’s demands to form a Joint Fact-Finding Team (TGPF),” Saurlin said at the Komnas HAM office on Saturday, 11 April 2026.
Gibran proposed involving professionals as ad hoc judges in the Andrie case legal process as a manifestation of the government’s commitment to strengthening the judicial system to achieve justice principles.
“The direct involvement of professionals with strong track records and integrity as ad hoc judges in the court for the acid splashing against Andrie Yunus is important,” said the former Mayor of Solo in a written statement on Thursday, 9 April 2026.
However, Gibran’s proposal did not immediately receive positive responses from the Coalition and Andrie’s legal team. Member of the Advocacy Team for Democracy (TAUD) Afif Abdul Qoyum said the government cannot ignore demands to form an independent TGPF by proposing the involvement of professionals as ad hoc judges in the Andrie case trial.
He explained that the proposal to involve ad hoc judges and the demand to form an independent TGPF in the Andrie case are two different things. Therefore, if the government seeks to maintain public trust and the dignity of the law, it should take steps to form a TGPF and bring this case to the general court.
According to Afif, forming a TGPF is far more urgent now than Gibran’s proposal. Because, referring to statements from the Military Police Centre and the police, especially regarding the number of perpetrators, the information provided is inconsistent with the coalition.
The Coalition suspects that the perpetrators of the acid splashing against Andrie number 16 people. However, the TNI Military Police Centre only states there are four perpetrators from the TNI Strategic Intelligence Agency Detachment. The case files and evidence for these four perpetrators have been handed over to the Military Prosecutor 07-II Jakarta.
“If in that context alone the clues and information we provided are ignored, then what guarantee is there that ad hoc judges in the military court can act comprehensively?” Afif said.
The Coalition, he continued, fears that Gibran’s proposal to involve ad hoc judges in the Andrie case without being accompanied by a commitment to bring the case to the general court and form an independent TGPF will only result in a partial legal process.
“The TGPF is an important instrument in this case for law enforcement to uncover facts about the incident,” Afif said.
Chairman of the Indonesian Legal Aid Foundation (YLBHI) Muhammad Isnur holds a similar view. He said Gibran’s statement does not address the integrity and credibility of the military court in the Andrie case.
Instead, he said, Gibran’s statement further strengthens the existence of issues related to the professionalism, track record, and integrity of the parties in the military judicial mechanism in trying general criminal cases.
Regarding Gibran’s statement, Isnur said the coalition is urging the TNI to halt the current legal process and immediately hand it over to the general court.
“Ignoring this is the same as opposing the policy direction that has been conveyed by the Vice President,” Isnur said.
Andrie Yunus was doused with corrosive chemicals on 12 March while passing through Jalan Salemba I-Talang, Central Jakarta. Medical records state that Andrie suffered burns over more than 20 percent due to this attack.
Last week, the TNI Military Police Centre handed over the case files and evidence to the Military Prosecutor 07-II Jakarta. If the files are deemed complete, the Andrie case will begin to be tried at the Military Court 08-II Jakarta.
According to statements from the TNI Military Police Centre, there are four perpetrators of the splashing. They are NDP, SL, BHW, and ES, from the air and sea forces. NDP holds the rank of captain, SL and BHW are first lieutenants, while ES is a second sergeant.