Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Komdigi Shows No Tolerance, Imposes Sanctions on YouTube Over Tunas Regulation Effects

| Source: CNBC Translated from Indonesian | Regulation
Komdigi Shows No Tolerance, Imposes Sanctions on YouTube Over Tunas Regulation Effects
Image: CNBC

Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia - The Ministry of Communication and Digital assesses that Google has yet to comply with the Tunas Government Regulation, which limits children under 16 years old on social media. For this reason, the ministry is issuing a sanction in the form of a warning letter to the owner of YouTube.

Previously, Komdigi had sent a summons letter. Google is also said to have undergone an examination on Tuesday (7/4/2026) at the Komdigi office.

“Based on the results of the examination by the Director General of Digital Space Supervision on 7 April, it was found that YouTube has not fulfilled its compliance obligations and has not stated or has not yet stated its intention to follow the applicable law in the near future. Therefore, there is no choice; the government cannot give tolerance anymore and must move from the examination realm to the sanction realm,” said Komdigi Minister Meutya Hafid on Thursday (9/4/2026).

This sanction will be implemented in stages. She also hopes for a change in attitude from Google.

“So the sanction we are imposing today is a warning sanction to YouTube through the Google company. I don’t want to speculate because I am still positive that the platform will submit and comply with the law in Indonesia. So we will see what happens next,” Meutya explained.

Previously, Google stated that it does not agree with the implementation of a comprehensive ban (blanket ban). The regulation should respect the stages of child and adolescent development according to age, and parents should be given more freedom.

According to Google, this approach is far more effective for families in Indonesia. YouTube also has several supervision features that can be utilised instead of a total block.

There are several features in the platform that are claimed to make parents the main controllers, namely playback settings in Shorts, AI-based age verification, screen time locking with Family Link, and digital wellbeing protection.

Regarding the comprehensive account restriction for children under 16 years old, it would cause them to lose the previous protections.

“A comprehensive account restriction for users under 16 years old would actually cause young people accessing YouTube to lose various protections, parental controls, and security features that we have integrated into supervised accounts,” Google explained.

View JSON | Print