KNPI Rejects Ida I Dewa Agung Jambe Statue at Kertha Gosa, Klungkung
Indonesian National Youth Committee (KNPI) Klungkung has rejected the plan to erect a statue of National Hero Ida I Dewa Agung Jambe in the Kertha Gosa cultural heritage area. The stance was set out in an official letter numbered 241/008/DPD.KNPI.KLK/V/2026, sent to Klungkung Regent I Made Satria on Monday 18 May 2026.
The plan emerged after a meeting between the Klungkung Regency and Bali DPD RI member Arya Wedakarna (AWK) on 13 May 2026. During the meeting, a proposal for regional funding in 2026/2027 to construct a new statue within the heritage site was raised.
Chairman of the KNPI Klungkung DPD, Anak Agung Gde Mega Ary Putra, emphasised that they respect the National Hero status conferred on Raja Klungkung XI since 6 November 2023. However, KNPI believes that adding a new monument at Kertha Gosa could potentially undermine the authenticity of the historic site.
‘The Kertha Gosa area possesses very sensitive aesthetic and historical spatial planning values. Adding a new structure without in-depth study risks damaging the authenticity of the heritage area,’ Gung Mega told detikBali on Tuesday 19 May 2026.
Beyond heritage conservation, KNPI Klungkung also highlighted other issues. One is that the statue of Ida I Dewa Agung Jambe is said to already stand at the Ida I Dewa Agung Jambe Monument. The name of the national hero has also been honoured by naming the town square.
KNPI also notes that the 2026/2027 APBD budget should be focused on programmes that address the basic needs of the people of Klungkung.
‘We also hope that the local government will more extensively publicise the existence of statues and sites that already exist to the younger generation, rather than building new facilities,’ he said.
As a show of seriousness in monitoring the issue, KNPI Klungkung circulated copies of the objection letter to a number of agencies, including the Chairman of Klungkung Regency’s DPRD, the Culture Office, the Tourism Office, the Disdikpora, BPKPD Klungkung, and the Bali KNPI DPD.
Meanwhile, Assistant I for Governance and Welfare of the Klungkung Regency’s Setda, I Gusti Ketut Suardika, said the statue plan remains only a proposal mediated by the DPD RI.
He added that the regional government must accommodate all incoming aspirations before making further decisions.
‘This is just a proposal. So we will certainly study the proposal. The same goes for the objections. Both will be part of our study. Of course no steps have been taken by the Klungkung Regency at this point. I have not yet received the objection letter,’ Suardika said.
Suardika explained that the statue proposal originated from Puri Klungkung. The proposal was then re-presented by AWK in the 13 May 2026 meeting.
‘So far the proposal has been reported to the regent. Going forward, there will be various studies and considerations. The existence of this objection will also be taken into account,’ he concluded.