KLM Nur Ainun Balqis Sinks in Makassar Strait, 2 Persons Missing
The vessel KLM Nur Ainun Balqis has been reported to have sunk in the waters of the Makassar Strait, in the Donggala Regency area of Central Sulawesi.
Of the five people on board, three were found alive, whilst two others remain missing and are the subject of an ongoing search operation.
The Palu Search and Rescue Office (Basarnas) immediately deployed the KN SAR Baladewa to conduct search operations for the victims yet to be found.
"Our joint SAR team was deployed to conduct the search at approximately 18:14 Central Indonesian Time using the KN SAR Baladewa. We received information that there were five passengers on the vessel," said the Head of the Palu Search and Rescue Office, Muh Rizal, in Palu on Monday (16/2).
The KLM Nur Ainun Balqis had previously departed from Nunukan, North Kalimantan, bound for Orange Port in Barru Regency, South Sulawesi, on Thursday (12/2) at approximately 02:00 Central Indonesian Time.
During the voyage, the vessel was struck by waves whilst crossing the Makassar Strait, causing it to list and ultimately sink. All passengers and crew were forced to jump into the sea to save themselves.
"From the reports we received, three victims were found by fishermen from Donggala on Sunday (15/2) at approximately 20:00 Central Indonesian Time, whilst two others are still being searched for," he said.
Basarnas stated that the location where the vessel sank was at coordinates 0°0'30.30"S – 119°17'6.42"E, approximately 52 nautical miles north of the KN SAR Baladewa dock in Palu City.
"The estimated arrival time of the team at the coordinates is approximately 21:14 Central Indonesian Time. We hope the other two victims can be found," he said.
Rizal affirmed that the search operation was being conducted at maximum capacity whilst maintaining occupational safety standards in accordance with established procedures.
"The SAR teams involved in this operation comprise personnel from the Palu Search and Rescue Office, the Indonesian Navy, local fishermen, and crew of the KN SAR Baladewa. The teams are equipped with SAR equipment, communication devices, medical supplies, and evacuation equipment," Rizal added.
The three victims found alive are Saharudin (47), Muh Alwi (32), and Muksin (47). Meanwhile, the other two, Gus Wan (47) and Adam (20), remain the subject of the joint SAR team's search efforts.
Of the five people on board, three were found alive, whilst two others remain missing and are the subject of an ongoing search operation.
The Palu Search and Rescue Office (Basarnas) immediately deployed the KN SAR Baladewa to conduct search operations for the victims yet to be found.
"Our joint SAR team was deployed to conduct the search at approximately 18:14 Central Indonesian Time using the KN SAR Baladewa. We received information that there were five passengers on the vessel," said the Head of the Palu Search and Rescue Office, Muh Rizal, in Palu on Monday (16/2).
The KLM Nur Ainun Balqis had previously departed from Nunukan, North Kalimantan, bound for Orange Port in Barru Regency, South Sulawesi, on Thursday (12/2) at approximately 02:00 Central Indonesian Time.
During the voyage, the vessel was struck by waves whilst crossing the Makassar Strait, causing it to list and ultimately sink. All passengers and crew were forced to jump into the sea to save themselves.
"From the reports we received, three victims were found by fishermen from Donggala on Sunday (15/2) at approximately 20:00 Central Indonesian Time, whilst two others are still being searched for," he said.
Basarnas stated that the location where the vessel sank was at coordinates 0°0'30.30"S – 119°17'6.42"E, approximately 52 nautical miles north of the KN SAR Baladewa dock in Palu City.
"The estimated arrival time of the team at the coordinates is approximately 21:14 Central Indonesian Time. We hope the other two victims can be found," he said.
Rizal affirmed that the search operation was being conducted at maximum capacity whilst maintaining occupational safety standards in accordance with established procedures.
"The SAR teams involved in this operation comprise personnel from the Palu Search and Rescue Office, the Indonesian Navy, local fishermen, and crew of the KN SAR Baladewa. The teams are equipped with SAR equipment, communication devices, medical supplies, and evacuation equipment," Rizal added.
The three victims found alive are Saharudin (47), Muh Alwi (32), and Muksin (47). Meanwhile, the other two, Gus Wan (47) and Adam (20), remain the subject of the joint SAR team's search efforts.