KKJ: Objections to Journalistic Content Should Be Submitted to the Press Council
The Journalists’ Safety Committee (KKJ) has highlighted demonstrations held by members and officials of the NasDem Party regarding objections to the cover of Tempo magazine’s edition dated 12 April 2026.
On Tuesday, 14 April, hundreds of NasDem Party members staged a demonstration in front of Tempo’s office. Today, a similar action was carried out by party officials in Kendari, Southeast Sulawesi.
“Objections to journalistic reporting should be addressed through the mechanisms of the Press Law,” said KKJ Coordinator Erick Tanjung in a written statement on Wednesday, 15 April 2026.
He explained that KKJ respects all forms of expressing opinions as a right of every citizen. However, journalistic works are products created by journalists through media companies guaranteed by the Press Law.
Erick reminded that the Press Law was enacted after the reform era as a mandate to prevent censorship and other forms of arbitrariness against the press.
Instead of exerting mass pressure that could potentially intimidate press freedom, he said, NasDem Party officials should submit objections by referring to the existing provisions, namely the Press Law.
“Article 5 paragraphs (2) and (3) of the Press Law provide mechanisms for the Right of Correction and Right of Reply as channels for resolving reporting disputes,” he stated.
Furthermore, he continued, the NasDem Party, as the party expressing objections, has not yet recorded any written submission of objections regarding the material and substance of the content deemed inappropriate as of today.
Therefore, Erick said, KKJ rejects all forms of mass mobilisation that could potentially intimidate journalistic work. KKJ also urges the NasDem Party to halt plans for further actions that lack basis and clear objectives.
“KKJ calls on all political actors to respect press freedom as the main pillar of democracy. Resolution of press disputes must be pursued through legal mechanisms, namely the Right of Reply, Right of Correction, and the Press Council,” he said.
Previously, Tempo’s Editor-in-Chief Setri Yasa stated that his institution appreciates the opinions expressed by several NasDem cadres in the rally.
“Differences in perspectives on reporting are a normal aspect of democracy,” said Setri on Tuesday, 14 April 2026.
Setri explained that the reporting material published by Tempo is journalistic work that has undergone a verification process. Tempo has also provided space for the NasDem Party or any party to provide clarification on the findings in that main report.
According to Setri, any input on journalistic products can be resolved through the mechanisms available via the Press Council.
Meanwhile, regarding the impact of the main report’s cover that touches on NasDem Party General Chairman Surya Paloh and NasDem cadres, Setri expressed an apology.