Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Jatiwaringin Landfill Fire Rages for a Week, Dozens Remain Displaced

| Source: CNN_ID Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy
Jatiwaringin Landfill Fire Rages for a Week, Dozens Remain Displaced
Image: CNN_ID

The fire at the Jatiwaringin Final Processing Site (TPA) in Mauk District, Tangerang Regency, entered its seventh day on Monday (6/7). The extinguishing process is still ongoing, and dozens of affected residents remain in evacuation posts due to smoke exposure blanketing residential areas. CNN Indonesia’s monitoring at the location on Monday afternoon showed plumes of smoke still rising from several points in the waste pile and drifting westward. A joint task force continues to fight the fire on the ground, involving firefighting personnel and Manggala Agni, while three water-bombing helicopters from the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) have been deployed to douse hotspots from the air. Meanwhile, activity at the evacuation post continues. Based on the latest data on Monday afternoon, 28 residents are still sheltering at the Tanjakan Mekar Village Office. This number is expected to fluctuate depending on the smoke conditions still blanketing residential areas around the TPA. ‘I have been displaced for seven days. The aid is sufficient, from food logistics to mattresses, everything is provided,’ said one resident, Qipi, at the evacuation post. Tanjakan Mekar Village Head, Uti, stated that the majority of the evacuees are children and the elderly living in the areas most affected by the fire smoke. ‘On the seventh day, there are around 20-plus people. The smoke from the TPA contains toxins, so daily life has been severely impacted,’ Uti said. Although many residents previously suffered from acute respiratory infections (ISPA), Uti confirmed that the health condition of the evacuees is now being continuously monitored and is gradually improving. ‘Thank God, doctors and the Rajeg Community Health Centre staff always check on the evacuees; anyone who is displaced is immediately given a health examination,’ he explained. He also confirmed that the availability of logistics at the post is still sufficient to meet the needs of the evacuees. ‘Thank God, food logistics are all sufficient. Aid has come from the Regency Social Services, including last night from the Ministry of Social Affairs, as well as from the water utility company and the Regent, and the Provincial government has also stepped in,’ he detailed. The Jatiwaringin landfill fire started on Tuesday (30/6). The incident is suspected to have been triggered by extreme heat igniting methane gas within the waste pile. By the seventh day, joint personnel were still working to extinguish the remaining hotspots through ground and air operations.

View JSON | Print