Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Jakarta Deputy Speaker Demands Sanctions for School Bomb Threat Prankster: 'The Joke Wasn't Funny'

| Source: DETIK Translated from Indonesian | Legal
Jakarta Deputy Speaker Demands Sanctions for School Bomb Threat Prankster: 'The Joke Wasn't Funny'
Image: DETIK

Jakarta Deputy Speaker Rany Mauliani has urged authorities to impose strict sanctions on MY (34), the man who sent a bomb threat to SDN Srengseng Sawah 15 Pagi in Jagakarsa, South Jakarta, stating his prank was not amusing. ‘Now that the perpetrator has been caught and detained, please ensure he receives a sanction with a deterrent effect. Do not just let him apologise, make peace, and then consider the matter closed just because he claims it was a joke, because the joke was not funny and was completely inappropriate,’ Rany told reporters on Tuesday (14/7/2026). Rany expressed concern that if MY’s actions were resolved amicably, similar incidents might recur in the future, and the threats might no longer be a joke. She hopes law enforcement will not hesitate to take legal action against MY. ‘We are certainly responsible for the lives, safety and comfort of the students at the school,’ she said. Echoing Rany’s sentiments, Taufik Zoelkifli, a member of Commission B of the Jakarta DPRD from the PKS faction, also wants the perpetrator MY to be held legally accountable for his actions. He argued that MY’s behaviour caused fear among the pupils and teachers at the school. ‘In my opinion, the perpetrator must still be held legally responsible. Just because he was messing around does not mean he should be let go, no. He must be held legally accountable,’ Taufik stated. He urged the public not to engage in excessive pranks, emphasising that spreading criminal threats of terror should never be treated as a casual lark. ‘I urge the public not to mess around beyond acceptable limits. Matters of bomb security and criminal threats should not be made into a prank,’ he added. It was previously reported that the perpetrator admitted he was just messing around when he sent the terror threat to SDN Srengseng Sawah 15 Pagi. The message was received by a teacher and a school administrative staff member. The perpetrator also made a phone call because his threatening message went unanswered. In the message, the perpetrator claimed to have placed bombs at 11 locations. The threat read: ‘GOOD MORNING AND PEACE BE UPON YOU, PLEASE BE PREPARED AS IN A MATTER OF MINUTES THE SDN 15 PAGI SCHOOL WILL EXPLODE AND WE HAVE PREPARED 11 LOCATIONS…!!!’ The terror threat was sent while students were holding a morning flag ceremony. After a sweep by the Gegana bomb squad and the Densus 88 counter-terrorism unit, no explosive materials were found at the site. The perpetrator is currently still being treated as a witness. Police will conduct a psychiatric evaluation of the perpetrator to determine the motive behind the bomb threat.

View JSON | Print