Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Italy Ready to Help Secure Strait of Hormuz Following Iran-US Peace Deal

| | Source: MEDIA_INDONESIA Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Italy Ready to Help Secure Strait of Hormuz Following Iran-US Peace Deal
Image: MEDIA_INDONESIA

The Italian government has stated it is prepared to work with its partners to ensure navigational safety in the Strait of Hormuz following the agreement between the United States and Iran, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said on Monday. “We are ready, together with our partners and without disregarding the necessary parliamentary approval, to contribute to an international naval presence to support the full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz,” Meloni said in a statement. Following the announcement of the deal, France, Germany, and the UK are also preparing to lift sanctions on Iran after peace was achieved between Tehran and Washington, the Italian prime minister added. She also thanked the governments of Qatar and Pakistan for their role as mediators in the negotiations, noting that there is now a unique opportunity to achieve peace. “As in the past, Italy is ready to support the diplomatic process towards a comprehensive agreement. The principle is clear: Iran must not acquire nuclear weapons and freedom of navigation must be guaranteed,” Meloni added. On Sunday, US President Donald Trump and Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi confirmed that the drafting of a memorandum of understanding had been completed. The document is scheduled to be signed in Switzerland on 19 June.

View JSON | Print