Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Islamic Boarding School Leader in East Lombok Named Suspect in Student Sexual Abuse, Arrested While Attempting to Travel to Middle East

| Source: VIVA | Legal
Mataram — The head of an Islamic boarding school (ponpes) in the Sukamulia area of East Lombok Regency, West Nusa Tenggara, identified by the initials MJ, has been named a suspect in connection with the alleged sexual abuse of female students (santriwati).

Police have requested time before making full public disclosures regarding the case. "There will be a time when I explain everything," said the Director of the Women and Children Protection and Anti-Trafficking Division (PPA-PPO) of the West Nusa Tenggara Regional Police, Senior Commissioner Ni Made Pujawat, on Wednesday, 18 February 2026.

The designation of the boarding school leader as a suspect was confirmed by Joko Jumadi, Chairman of the Mataram Child Protection Agency (LPA). "Yes, the individual in question (MJ) is now a suspect," Joko said.

He added that, as a companion to the victims, he could confirm MJ's suspect status based on the receipt of a Notice of Commencement of Investigation (SPDP) from the West Nusa Tenggara Regional Police. According to the letter, Joko stated that his office had received information from investigators confirming that MJ had been taken into police custody.

Investigators from the West Nusa Tenggara Regional Police arrested the boarding school leader at Lombok International Airport (BIL) in Central Lombok Regency as he was preparing to travel abroad to the Middle East with his wife.

Joko explained that the case came to light following admissions from victims who had experienced sexual abuse whilst enrolled as students at the boarding school. Two victims came forward to the Mataram Child Protection Agency to report MJ's deviant conduct as head of the institution.

The suspect carried out his actions against one victim whilst she was still attending Madrasah Aliyah (Islamic senior secondary school). The other victim was sexually assaulted at the age of 17.

"One victim endured this for 10 years, continuing even after she married. After her marriage, the suspected perpetrator was still able to manipulate her into sexual intercourse. The victim is now suffering from severe depression," Joko said.

MJ's modus operandi involved deceiving victims into believing that sexual intercourse with him was part of a ritual womb cleansing. "The victims were sexually assaulted under the pretext that the perpetrator was possessed by a jinn," he said.

The Mataram Child Protection Agency is now intensively providing support to the victims for trauma recovery.
Tags: berita
View JSON | Print