Islah Bahrawi Claims Stalking by Unknown Individuals After Criticising Remilitarisation
Executive Director of Jaringan Moderat Indonesia, Islah Bahrawi, claims he was stalked for 10 days by unknown individuals (OTK) monitoring his movements both at his Jakarta residence and when going out. Bahrawi said he became aware of being watched following incidents between 17-25 May 2026.
During that period, he reported individuals photographing his home, family members, and visitors, while motorcyclists took pictures. The Nahdlatul Ulama figure also recorded a vehicle with registration plate A 1299 NB that followed him and frequently parked within 100 metres of his home.
His suspicions intensified when neighbours reported being questioned about his whereabouts when he was away. ‘When the father was out of town, some people came asking about Pak Islah’s activities—where he worked, his children, and so on,’ Bahrawi recounted telling Tempo on Tuesday, 26 May 2026.
He enlisted his brother to observe the unidentified individuals loitering near his home. Bahrawi noted his suspicions grew when they fled upon approach by his relatives seeking to verify their identities.
Bahrawi also posted suspicious figures near his home on Instagram on Monday, 25 May 2026. After sharing the story, he said OTK continued surveillance but the initial vehicle had been replaced.
According to surveillance footage, Bahrawi identified seven suspects he believes are stalkers. He suspects the intimidation stems from the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) due to his frequent criticism of the military’s growing influence under President Prabowo Subianto, expressed via social media and discussion forums.
‘Why do I think they’re soldiers? Because I’ve been vocal against remilitarisation,’ he said.
Bahrawi is among activists reported to police for alleged incitement to overthrow Prabowo during a Halal Bihalal Pengamat discussion after Eid al-Fitr 2026. He, along with Saiful Muzani and Ubedilah Badrun, was reported to Jakarta Metropolitan Police (Polda Metro Jaya) by members of the East Jakarta Community Alliance on 8 April 2026. Bahrawi believes the report relates to his anti-remilitarisation stance.
‘I believe this is an attempt to profile and intimidate me, and it’s definitely from the TNI. My conclusion is that this is a military operation,’ he said.
Bahrawi stated he shared the story to highlight that vocal critics still face intimidation, viewing it as a threat to democracy that must be challenged collectively.
TNI Public Affairs Chief Muhammad Nas said Bahrawi’s suspicions are legitimate, adding the TNI would investigate the alleged military involvement. ‘Concerns are valid, but using OTK implies illegality. The TNI headquarters will conduct a thorough investigation,’ Nas stated in a text message on Tuesday night.