Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Iran Walks Out of Swiss Talks After Trump Threatens Further Attacks

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Iran Walks Out of Swiss Talks After Trump Threatens Further Attacks
Image: ANTARA_ID

Teheran (ANTARA) - The Iranian delegation walked out of negotiations with the United States in Switzerland on Sunday in protest over President Donald Trump’s threats to launch further attacks on Iran, according to semi-official Iranian news agency Tasnim.

Tasnim quoted a source close to the delegation as saying that “the negotiations were halted a few minutes ago.”

Meanwhile, government-run Press TV cited a source saying that the delegation conveyed its objection directly to the American side and was “assessing the conditions to provide an appropriate response” to Trump’s threats.

Earlier in the day, Trump wrote on Truth Social: “Iran must immediately stop their highly paid proxies in Lebanon from causing trouble. If not, we will hit Iran again very hard, like we did last week, even harder!!!”

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who is leading the delegation, dismissed the threat, stating that Iran’s armed forces are ready to respond. “They should be careful with their comments … Whatever they say, we will be the ones to act,” he said.

The talks in Switzerland were focused on implementing Paragraph 13 of the newly signed Iran-US Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), which sets the conditions for initiating final agreement negotiations. These conditions include ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon, lifting the US naval blockade, reopening the Strait of Hormuz, granting waivers for Iranian oil exports, and releasing frozen Iranian assets, according to semi-official news agency Fars, citing delegation member Hossein Ghorbanzadeh.

Ghorbanzadeh stated that other provisions of the MoU would not be implemented until the war in Lebanon ends. He added that a draft for temporary sanctions relief covering Iranian oil and petrochemical exports had been finalised and would soon take effect.

The MoU, which was signed digitally on Thursday, was followed by a ceasefire agreement between Lebanon and Israel that came into effect on Friday afternoon local time. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Israel Katz reportedly ordered troops to halt fighting in Lebanon on Saturday. However, Katz said on Sunday that forces would not withdraw from the “security zone” they control in southern Lebanon. Meanwhile, Lebanese sources reported that Israeli strikes against Lebanon have continued in recent days despite the ceasefire.

View JSON | Print