Iran Sends High-Level Delegation to Qatar to Discuss Negotiations with US
Iran sent a high-level delegation to Doha on Monday (25 June) to discuss Tehran’s demands in negotiations with the United States amid escalating tensions between the two nations. The Iranian delegation was led by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, with Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Central Bank Governor Abdolnaser Hemmati also attending. According to IRNA, the meeting forms part of Pakistan-mediated diplomatic efforts to resolve the conflict between Washington and Tehran. In Doha, the Iranian delegation is scheduled to consult Qatari officials on various aspects of negotiations related to ending the conflict. Although the US delegation did not attend the meeting in person, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed diplomatic talks were taking place in Qatar. ‘There are several talks happening in Qatar today. We’ll see if we can make progress,’ Rubio told The New York Times on Tuesday (26 May). Rubio estimated the negotiation process would not be quick, as both sides would need to discuss the wording of the initial agreement. ‘The President has expressed his desire to achieve it. He will make a good deal or none at all,’ Rubio said. Previously, US President Donald Trump stated that an agreement with Iran was nearly reached and only awaited finalisation. Trump also reiterated his ambition to halt Iran’s nuclear programme, including destroying nuclear facilities or relocating enriched uranium. However, Iran rejected these demands, insisting its uranium enrichment and nuclear development programmes are vital to national interests. Amid ongoing diplomatic efforts, military tensions between the two nations persist. Hours after the Iranian delegation arrived in Doha, US military reportedly launched strikes against missile launch sites in Iran and vessels suspected of laying mines. Prospects for a diplomatic breakthrough in the conflict involving the United States, Israel, and Iran are fading. Pakistan’s Foreign Minister, Ishaq Dar, urged the United States and Iran to consider extending a ceasefire set to expire on Wednesday (22 April). This has heightened fears of renewed hostilities as the ceasefire deadline approaches. The United States and Iran are reportedly set to resume second-phase negotiations soon. US President Donald Trump threatened to seize Iran’s uranium stockpiles and restart bombing campaigns if no agreement is reached next week.