Iran says indirect negotiations with US to continue in March
Moscow (ANTARA) - An anonymous senior Iranian official said that indirect negotiations between Iran and the United States are expected to take place in early March, Reuters reported on Sunday.
There is a possibility of reaching an interim agreement, according to the report.
Iran and the United States, Reuters reported, hold differing views on the scope and mechanism of lifting US sanctions in exchange for restrictions on Iran’s nuclear programme.
Tehran is reportedly willing to consider measures such as exporting a portion of its highly enriched uranium stockpile, reducing enrichment levels, and establishing a regional uranium enrichment consortium.
However, such steps would only materialise if Iran’s right to peaceful enrichment is recognised.
Tehran will not relinquish control over its oil and mineral resources, although it could grant US contractors access to its oil and gas fields, the Iranian official said.
The second round of Oman-mediated nuclear talks between the US and Iran took place in Geneva on 17 February. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said progress had been achieved and that both countries would draft a text that could serve as the basis for a possible agreement.
Source: Sputnik/RIA Novosti