Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Iran Condemns 'Barbaric' US Strike Near Children's Cancer Hospital in Ahvaz

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Iran Condemns 'Barbaric' US Strike Near Children's Cancer Hospital in Ahvaz
Image: ANTARA_ID

The Iranian government on Thursday condemned a ‘barbaric attack’ by the United States near a children’s cancer hospital in the southwestern city of Ahvaz, which forced the evacuation of hundreds of young patients. Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei stated that Shahid Baqaei Hospital, a specialised cancer treatment centre for children, had to be evacuated on Wednesday night following the nearby strike. He said the ‘barbaric attack’ caused severe suffering and anxiety among the children receiving care, with 211 patients undergoing chemotherapy forced to leave. Baqaei described the strike as a ‘cowardly war crime’ against children, drawing comparisons to Israeli attacks on health facilities. ‘Those who incessantly lecture on human rights, yet deliberately ignore attacks on hospitals and health centres, have forfeited all their moral credibility,’ he said. The Mehr news agency had reported on Wednesday that the US strike hit a location near the hospital, compelling the evacuation of hundreds of children being treated for cancer. Baqaei’s remarks come amid heightened tensions between the US and Iran in the Strait of Hormuz, with both sides exchanging fire despite having previously signed a peace memorandum, brokered by Pakistan, aimed at ending the conflict and pursuing a permanent peace agreement.

View JSON | Print