Iran Closes Strait of Hormuz Again!
Iran’s military has stated that the Strait of Hormuz has been closed again today. This was announced by Iran’s central military command only a few hours after the strait was opened, with dozens of ships having already passed through the vital route.
In a statement broadcast on Iranian state television, the military command accused Washington of breaking its promises with its naval blockade of ships sailing to and from Iranian ports.
“Until the United States restores freedom of movement for all ships visiting Iran, the situation in the Strait of Hormuz will remain under strict control,” the statement said, as reported by AFP news agency and quoted by detikNews on Saturday (18/4/2026).
Previously, US President Donald Trump stated that he plans to maintain the US blockade of Iranian ports if no peace agreement is reached. Trump mentioned there is a possibility that the ceasefire will not be extended after it expires.
Iran had reopened the Strait of Hormuz on Friday (17/4) after a ceasefire agreement was reached between Israel and Lebanon. However, Tehran threatened to close the vital waterway again if the US blockade continues.
Meanwhile, the ceasefire between Tehran and Washington is set to expire on Wednesday.
“I might not extend it, but the blockade will remain in place,” Trump told reporters, as reported by Al Arabiya on Saturday (18/4/2026), when asked if the ceasefire would be extended.
When asked about the possibility of a peace agreement with Iran, Trump said, “I think it will happen.”
The main differences remain in the demands from the United States and Iran, which previously failed to reach an agreement in talks in Pakistan.
Trump told reporters that “there will be no tariffs” imposed by Iran on ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz. This has been proposed by the Islamic Republic during previous peace agreement plans.