Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Indonesian Army Builds Bridge in Ketol Subdistrict

| Source: ANTARA_ID | Infrastructure
Central Aceh (ANTARA) — The Indonesian Army (TNI AD) is building a bridge to connect four villages in Ketol subdistrict, Central Aceh, Aceh province.

The suspension bridge is being constructed to replace an emergency bridge that has been affected by rising river currents, as water levels have climbed significantly following three consecutive days of heavy rainfall.

"As we can see over there, the Indonesian Army is building a suspension bridge. The target is for completion at the beginning of March — hopefully we can inaugurate it on 6 March — and progress has now reached nearly 60 per cent," said Central Aceh Military District Commander (Dandim 0106) Lieutenant Colonel (Infantry) Raden Herman Sasmita to ANTARA on Friday.

"Although this bridge is still under construction, we can also see that an emergency bridge has already been put in place by the Indonesian Army," he added.

The bridge connects a total of four villages — Burlah, Kekuyang, Bugeara, and Bintang Pepara — all within Ketol subdistrict.

Damage to the access road has made it considerably difficult for aid supplies to reach the four villages, as the current in the Kelali River is quite strong owing to the heavy rainfall in the Central Aceh area over the past three days.

"Just yesterday, a truck delivering aid from donors was halted at the Kelali River — that is one example. However, public attention has been entirely focused on our fellow citizens there, so they are certainly not alone," said Herman.

Herman acknowledged that the main obstacle faced by the military in building the bridge has been transporting heavy equipment due to the difficult road conditions.

"Regarding the challenges we face in opening up access, the primary issue has been equipment — getting the heavy machinery through, as we can see from the conditions up to now," Herman explained.

Previously, the head of the Central Aceh Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD), Andalika, confirmed that a total of eight villages remain isolated as a result of the Sumatra disaster.
View JSON | Print