House of Representatives Pledges to Oversee Case of Child Allegedly Killed by Stepmother in Sukabumi
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Chairman of House Commission III Habiburokhman has confirmed that he will oversee the case of a child, NS (12), who died allegedly from abuse by his stepmother in Sukabumi, West Java.
He affirmed that House Commission III condemns the case and recommended that the Sukabumi Police apply Article 76C in conjunction with Article 80 of Law Number 35 of 2014 on Child Protection against the perpetrator.
“The maximum sentence is 15 years’ imprisonment,” said Habiburokhman in Jakarta on Sunday.
In addition, he urged the Sukabumi Police as investigators to thoroughly examine the acts committed against the victim. If the abuse was sustained over time, he said, this would serve as an aggravating factor for the perpetrator.
“We will continue to oversee this case through to trial so that the deceased and his family receive justice,” he said.
Previously, a 12-year-old boy died allegedly from abuse by his stepmother in Sukabumi Regency, West Java. The victim died with bruising and burn wounds on his body.
The victim ordinarily resided at a pesantren (Islamic boarding school). However, at the time of the incident, the victim was on leave to prepare for the beginning of the fasting month with his family.
At that time, the victim’s father, who was working in Sukabumi City, received a telephone call from his wife asking him to return home immediately, claiming the victim had fallen ill.
Upon the father’s arrival home, the victim was immediately rushed to Jampang Kulon Hospital for medical treatment. However, the victim ultimately breathed his last at the hospital.