House of Representatives and Government Hold Coordination Meeting on Sumatra Disaster Recovery
The leadership of the House of Representatives (DPR) and the government held a coordination meeting on Sumatra disaster recovery on Wednesday, 18 February 2026, at the DPR Complex in Jakarta. The DPR was represented by Deputy Speakers Sufmi Dasco Ahmad, Saan Mustopa, and Cucun Ahmad Syamsurijal.
Dasco, who opened the meeting, said the session was a follow-up to previous coordination held in Banda Aceh on 10 January 2026. "Today we will hold an evaluation meeting on the handling of post-natural disaster efforts in Sumatra, bringing together relevant ministers for evaluation and coordination," he said at the Pustaka Loka Nusantara IV Room, DPR Complex, Jakarta, on Wednesday.
Dasco noted the attendance of several ministers at the meeting, including the Chairman of the Task Force for Reconstruction and Rehabilitation for Accelerated Sumatra Disaster Recovery, who also serves as Minister of Home Affairs Muhammad Tito Karnavian, State Secretary Minister Prasetyo Hadi, Finance Minister Purbaya Yudhi Sadewa, and Public Works Minister Dody Hanggodo.
Also present were Social Affairs Minister Saifullah Yusuf and Deputy Social Affairs Minister Agus Jabo, Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin, Housing and Settlement Areas Minister Maruarar Sirait, Primary and Secondary Education Minister Abdul Mu'ti, and Religious Affairs Minister Nasaruddin Umat.
Additionally, MSME Minister Maman Abdurrahman, Agriculture Minister Andi Amran Sulaiman, and Statistics Indonesia (BPS) Head Amalia Adininggar Widyasanti were in attendance, along with SOE Regulatory Agency Head Dony Oskaria and National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) Chief Lieutenant General Suharyanto.
Dasco explained that the meeting had several agenda items aimed at ensuring that government operations in Aceh could function properly before the start of Ramadan 2026. According to Dasco, this target was nearly certain to be achieved, as DPR monitoring showed that road access in Aceh had largely been restored.
"We are targeting that before the fasting month, government operations across all areas of Aceh will be running, and thankfully our monitoring shows that only a small number of roads remain disrupted," said the Gerindra Party politician.
The meeting also discussed government efforts to normalise rivers in Aceh that have significant mud deposits, as well as infrastructure development in isolated areas and progress on the construction of temporary housing for communities affected by floods and landslides in late November 2025.
"We will hear today about the progress of temporary housing provision and environmental clean-up efforts," he said.
Dasco then invited Home Affairs Minister Tito to present the government's performance in handling the disaster, which claimed 1,206 lives according to BNPB Geoportal data as of Wednesday, 18 February 2026.
BNPB also recorded the number of displaced persons from the Sumatra disaster at 37,553 people as of that day. This figure had decreased compared to the total of 47,000 displaced persons recorded on 7 February 2026.
Previously, Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya claimed that post-disaster recovery in Sumatra was progressing very rapidly. Teddy assessed that conditions in Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra had improved significantly since the floods and landslides struck at the end of last year.
According to Teddy, the recovery effort was inseparable from the combined work of the government and community elements. "We are now two months into the post-disaster period and the data, facts, and reality on the ground truly demonstrate super-fast success," Teddy said in a statement on Wednesday, 11 February 2026.
President Prabowo Subianto, Teddy said, continued to monitor rehabilitation and reconstruction developments in the Sumatra region. Entering two months since the disaster, the government recorded a number of concrete achievements on the ground.
Teddy reported that at least 5,500 temporary housing units had been completed within two months of the disaster, with 1,500 of those finished in the first month alone. Additionally, 98 bridges had been rebuilt across all affected provinces and 99 national road segments that had previously been severed were now passable again.
In the health sector, Teddy said 87 hospitals and 867 community health centres that had been affected were now back in operation. Meanwhile, schools were nearly 100 per cent operational again, markets had reopened, and community economic activity was beginning to return to normal.
Dasco, who opened the meeting, said the session was a follow-up to previous coordination held in Banda Aceh on 10 January 2026. "Today we will hold an evaluation meeting on the handling of post-natural disaster efforts in Sumatra, bringing together relevant ministers for evaluation and coordination," he said at the Pustaka Loka Nusantara IV Room, DPR Complex, Jakarta, on Wednesday.
Dasco noted the attendance of several ministers at the meeting, including the Chairman of the Task Force for Reconstruction and Rehabilitation for Accelerated Sumatra Disaster Recovery, who also serves as Minister of Home Affairs Muhammad Tito Karnavian, State Secretary Minister Prasetyo Hadi, Finance Minister Purbaya Yudhi Sadewa, and Public Works Minister Dody Hanggodo.
Also present were Social Affairs Minister Saifullah Yusuf and Deputy Social Affairs Minister Agus Jabo, Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin, Housing and Settlement Areas Minister Maruarar Sirait, Primary and Secondary Education Minister Abdul Mu'ti, and Religious Affairs Minister Nasaruddin Umat.
Additionally, MSME Minister Maman Abdurrahman, Agriculture Minister Andi Amran Sulaiman, and Statistics Indonesia (BPS) Head Amalia Adininggar Widyasanti were in attendance, along with SOE Regulatory Agency Head Dony Oskaria and National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) Chief Lieutenant General Suharyanto.
Dasco explained that the meeting had several agenda items aimed at ensuring that government operations in Aceh could function properly before the start of Ramadan 2026. According to Dasco, this target was nearly certain to be achieved, as DPR monitoring showed that road access in Aceh had largely been restored.
"We are targeting that before the fasting month, government operations across all areas of Aceh will be running, and thankfully our monitoring shows that only a small number of roads remain disrupted," said the Gerindra Party politician.
The meeting also discussed government efforts to normalise rivers in Aceh that have significant mud deposits, as well as infrastructure development in isolated areas and progress on the construction of temporary housing for communities affected by floods and landslides in late November 2025.
"We will hear today about the progress of temporary housing provision and environmental clean-up efforts," he said.
Dasco then invited Home Affairs Minister Tito to present the government's performance in handling the disaster, which claimed 1,206 lives according to BNPB Geoportal data as of Wednesday, 18 February 2026.
BNPB also recorded the number of displaced persons from the Sumatra disaster at 37,553 people as of that day. This figure had decreased compared to the total of 47,000 displaced persons recorded on 7 February 2026.
Previously, Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya claimed that post-disaster recovery in Sumatra was progressing very rapidly. Teddy assessed that conditions in Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra had improved significantly since the floods and landslides struck at the end of last year.
According to Teddy, the recovery effort was inseparable from the combined work of the government and community elements. "We are now two months into the post-disaster period and the data, facts, and reality on the ground truly demonstrate super-fast success," Teddy said in a statement on Wednesday, 11 February 2026.
President Prabowo Subianto, Teddy said, continued to monitor rehabilitation and reconstruction developments in the Sumatra region. Entering two months since the disaster, the government recorded a number of concrete achievements on the ground.
Teddy reported that at least 5,500 temporary housing units had been completed within two months of the disaster, with 1,500 of those finished in the first month alone. Additionally, 98 bridges had been rebuilt across all affected provinces and 99 national road segments that had previously been severed were now passable again.
In the health sector, Teddy said 87 hospitals and 867 community health centres that had been affected were now back in operation. Meanwhile, schools were nearly 100 per cent operational again, markets had reopened, and community economic activity was beginning to return to normal.