House Commission I's Conditions on TNI Troop Deployment to Gaza Under Board of Peace
House Commission I member Syamsu Rizal has affirmed that the deployment of TNI troops to Gaza must serve exclusively humanitarian purposes and must not become entangled in Israel's agenda of occupation and aggression against Palestinian territory.
"We have recommended that the mission only assist with medical services and combat engineering, or rehabilitation and reconstruction," said Syamsu Rizal at the PKB South Sulawesi office in Makassar on Tuesday (17 February).
According to Rizal, known familiarly as Daeng Ical, one TNI brigade has already undergone training to form part of the International Stabilisation Force (ISF), but the assignment must be strictly delineated.
"Commission I has stipulated that, first, before any deployment, the specific tasks must be established. There must be a clear crossline, with demarcation of both territorial and task segments," he said.
The PKB politician explained that Indonesia's participation in the Board of Peace alongside the United States and other nations must be underpinned by a United Nations mandate.
"We have recommended ensuring as far as possible that this deployment is carried out under a UN mandate, not merely under any other mandate," he said.
Daeng Ical stressed that TNI troops sent to Gaza must remain neutral and not be drawn into the interests of any parties involved, and must not contravene Indonesia's independent and active foreign policy principle.
"That is why, before any deployment, the specific tasks must be confirmed. If they conflict with our independent and active principle and Indonesia's vision, the troops will not be sent. The President has also affirmed that if the mission conflicts with our principles, we will withdraw from the Board of Peace," he said.
It was previously reported that Indonesia would begin deploying troops to the Gaza Strip under the ISF banner in April.
Army Information Service Chief Brigadier General Donny Pramono said the military has prepared a composite brigade of 8,000 personnel. Of that number, approximately 1,000 personnel are expected to be ready for deployment as an advance team in April, with the remainder to be deployed in June. However, Donny stressed that troop deployment remains contingent on government decisions and international mechanisms.
"Based on the information we have received, to date there has been no political decision from the state regarding the departure date of TNI troops to Gaza," Donny said on Monday (16 February).
He added that the plan to send approximately 8,000 personnel remains in the preparatory stage, awaiting a decision from President Prabowo Subianto.
Internally, the TNI's Preparatory Meeting for the Indonesian Peace and Humanitarian Task Force, held on 12 February 2026, has only reached the stage of determining that troops will be prepared in a composite brigade format of 8,000 personnel.
Donny explained that the timeline drawn up so far includes health examinations and administrative preparation through February, with a troop readiness review at the end of February.
"Approximately 1,000 personnel are targeted to be in a state of readiness for departure by early April 2026, and all 8,000 personnel elements are targeted to be ready for departure by the end of June 2026 at the latest," he said.
The term "ready for departure", Donny continued, does not mean troops have departed, but rather that they are genuinely in a state of readiness to be dispatched at any time.
"However, the departure schedule remains entirely dependent on the state's political decision and applicable international mechanisms," he said.
Meanwhile, Defence Ministry Information Bureau Chief Brigadier General Rico Ricardo Sirait was unable to provide certainty. He asked the public to wait until the Board of Peace summit concludes.
The Board of Peace summit is to be held in Washington, United States, on 19 February. Indonesia is a member of the organisation and President Prabowo Subianto has confirmed his attendance.
"Wait for this," Rico said on Monday (16 February).
The deployment of ISF troops from various countries including Indonesia has drawn scrutiny because their duties encompass oversight through to Hamas disarmament. However, last weekend the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that Indonesia's troop deployment under the ISF umbrella is not for a combat mission.
"Indonesia's participation is not for a combat mission and not for a demilitarisation mission," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated on Saturday (14 February).
The Ministry also stated that Indonesian troops would not be involved in combat operations or confrontation with any armed parties.
"We have recommended that the mission only assist with medical services and combat engineering, or rehabilitation and reconstruction," said Syamsu Rizal at the PKB South Sulawesi office in Makassar on Tuesday (17 February).
According to Rizal, known familiarly as Daeng Ical, one TNI brigade has already undergone training to form part of the International Stabilisation Force (ISF), but the assignment must be strictly delineated.
"Commission I has stipulated that, first, before any deployment, the specific tasks must be established. There must be a clear crossline, with demarcation of both territorial and task segments," he said.
The PKB politician explained that Indonesia's participation in the Board of Peace alongside the United States and other nations must be underpinned by a United Nations mandate.
"We have recommended ensuring as far as possible that this deployment is carried out under a UN mandate, not merely under any other mandate," he said.
Daeng Ical stressed that TNI troops sent to Gaza must remain neutral and not be drawn into the interests of any parties involved, and must not contravene Indonesia's independent and active foreign policy principle.
"That is why, before any deployment, the specific tasks must be confirmed. If they conflict with our independent and active principle and Indonesia's vision, the troops will not be sent. The President has also affirmed that if the mission conflicts with our principles, we will withdraw from the Board of Peace," he said.
It was previously reported that Indonesia would begin deploying troops to the Gaza Strip under the ISF banner in April.
Army Information Service Chief Brigadier General Donny Pramono said the military has prepared a composite brigade of 8,000 personnel. Of that number, approximately 1,000 personnel are expected to be ready for deployment as an advance team in April, with the remainder to be deployed in June. However, Donny stressed that troop deployment remains contingent on government decisions and international mechanisms.
"Based on the information we have received, to date there has been no political decision from the state regarding the departure date of TNI troops to Gaza," Donny said on Monday (16 February).
He added that the plan to send approximately 8,000 personnel remains in the preparatory stage, awaiting a decision from President Prabowo Subianto.
Internally, the TNI's Preparatory Meeting for the Indonesian Peace and Humanitarian Task Force, held on 12 February 2026, has only reached the stage of determining that troops will be prepared in a composite brigade format of 8,000 personnel.
Donny explained that the timeline drawn up so far includes health examinations and administrative preparation through February, with a troop readiness review at the end of February.
"Approximately 1,000 personnel are targeted to be in a state of readiness for departure by early April 2026, and all 8,000 personnel elements are targeted to be ready for departure by the end of June 2026 at the latest," he said.
The term "ready for departure", Donny continued, does not mean troops have departed, but rather that they are genuinely in a state of readiness to be dispatched at any time.
"However, the departure schedule remains entirely dependent on the state's political decision and applicable international mechanisms," he said.
Meanwhile, Defence Ministry Information Bureau Chief Brigadier General Rico Ricardo Sirait was unable to provide certainty. He asked the public to wait until the Board of Peace summit concludes.
The Board of Peace summit is to be held in Washington, United States, on 19 February. Indonesia is a member of the organisation and President Prabowo Subianto has confirmed his attendance.
"Wait for this," Rico said on Monday (16 February).
The deployment of ISF troops from various countries including Indonesia has drawn scrutiny because their duties encompass oversight through to Hamas disarmament. However, last weekend the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that Indonesia's troop deployment under the ISF umbrella is not for a combat mission.
"Indonesia's participation is not for a combat mission and not for a demilitarisation mission," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated on Saturday (14 February).
The Ministry also stated that Indonesian troops would not be involved in combat operations or confrontation with any armed parties.