Hilman Latief Says Hajj Quota Corruption Allegations Destroyed His Family: Father Suffered a Stroke
Former Director-General of Hajj and Umrah Affairs at the Ministry of Religious Affairs, Hilman Latief, has denied allegations that he received funds related to the Hajj quota corruption case.
“There is no money flow; ask if any money went to Mr. Hilman? None. The corruption money for the Hajj quota, ask, no one has ever asked. I have stopped responding. The media has been writing about it for eight months, and I remained silent,” Hilman said after Eid al-Adha prayers on Wednesday at the Muhammadiyah Central Building in Central Jakarta.
He stated his family had been devastated by the accusations.
“My family is shattered. My mother is broken, my father suffered a stroke, everything. I do not comment in the media, but the media keeps reporting it constantly. I even protested to the media, how can they smear my name like this,” said the lecturer at Muhammadiyah University of Yogyakarta (UMY).
Previously, on Wednesday 20 May, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) questioned Hilman Latief as a witness in the alleged Hajj quota corruption case to confirm meetings between him and former Religious Affairs Minister Yaqut Cholil Qoumas.
“Confirmed regarding meetings with the minister and other officials concerning additional Hajj quotas,” said KPK spokesperson Budi Prasetyo in Serang Regency, Banten, on Thursday 21 May 2026.
The KPK also questioned Hilman to investigate efforts by Hajj travel agencies to manage additional Hajj quotas. The KPK began investigating the alleged corruption of Indonesia’s Hajj quota for 2023-2024 on 9 August 2025.
On 9 January 2026, the KPK named Yaqut Cholil Qoumas and Ishfah Abidal Aziz (Gus Alex), Yaqut’s special staff, as suspects in the alleged corruption case.