Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Health Ministry: Permission for Adult Measles Vaccine Issued

| Source: TEMPO_ID Translated from Indonesian | Social Policy

The Ministry of Health states that the National Agency of Drug and Food Control (BPOM) has issued permission for the use of measles vaccine for the adult age group. The vaccines include MR, MMR, and single measles vaccines produced by Bio Farma/Serum Institute of India, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), and Merck Sharp Dohme (MSD). Director General of Pharmacy and Medical Devices Rizka Andalusia said that this adult measles vaccination will be prioritised for medical personnel and health workers. The Ministry of Health targets the first phase of vaccination to reach 39,212 medical personnel and 223,150 health workers in 14 provinces with the highest cases. “Of course, with the extraordinary cases, there is a high potential for transmission to high-risk individuals, in this case, health workers who work directly with patients, facing high risks,” said Rizka in a written statement quoted on Thursday, 9 April 2026. In addition to health workers in the 14 priority areas, vaccination will also be given to 28,321 general practitioners and dentists undergoing internships across Indonesia. The total vaccine requirement for this adult priority group is estimated at around 290,000 doses. According to Rizka, the current national stock is sufficient to meet these needs. The MR vaccine stock is recorded at 9.8 million doses, predicted to last for 5.5 months ahead. “We are ensuring that stocks in all regions remain maintained but not excessive, so as not to risk the vaccines becoming damaged,” she stated. Previously, an intern doctor with initials AMW (26 years old) who was on duty in Cianjur Regency, West Java, died after being exposed to the measles virus on 26 March 2026. Based on tracing by the Ministry of Health, the doctor passed away after being infected with measles with severe complications affecting the heart and brain. The Ministry of Health then issued Circular Letter Number HK.02.02/C/1602/2026 in response to the increasing cases and extraordinary events (KLB) of measles in several areas. The letter requires all health facilities to be vigilant and report suspected measles cases within a maximum of 24 hours. Up to week 11 of 2026, 58 measles KLB events have been recorded in 39 districts/cities in 14 provinces. Cases once reached 2,740 at the beginning of the year before declining to 177 cases in March 2026.

View JSON | Print