Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Grilled with 35 Questions Until Midnight, Richard Lee Not Detained Despite Suspect Status — Police Explain Why

| Source: VIVA | Legal
Jakarta — Despite having been formally named a suspect, Dr Richard Lee was not immediately placed in detention. Jakarta Metropolitan Police (Polda Metro Jaya) chose not to detain him following a marathon examination that lasted late into the night.

Richard Lee was questioned as a suspect in an alleged consumer protection and Health Law violation case on Thursday, 19 February 2026. The examination was described as intensive, with investigators putting a total of 35 questions to him before he was permitted to leave at approximately 10.30pm local time.

Jakarta Metropolitan Police Head of Public Relations, Senior Commissioner Budi Hermanto, affirmed that the decision had a clear legal basis.

"The suspect DRL was not detained and has been placed under a reporting obligation. Furthermore, the investigation process continues to be conducted professionally and proportionally," he said on Friday, 20 February 2026.

Budi explained that the decision not to detain Richard Lee was made with reference to the provisions of Article 100, Paragraph 5, of Law Number 20 of 2025 on the Criminal Procedure Code. Investigators, he said, continued to work independently in determining their course of action.

"Investigators make decisions independently and with reference to the principles of legality, professionalism, proportionality and accountability," he said.

Although Richard Lee was not detained, the case against him is confirmed to be proceeding. Investigators are now focused on completing the case file for prompt transfer to the Public Prosecutor's Office.

"The DRL case continues to progress despite the decision not to detain. Investigators will complete the case file and promptly submit it to the Public Prosecutor to conclude the investigation process that has been initiated. We ensure that the entire process proceeds in accordance with prevailing regulations," he said.

Jakarta Metropolitan Police also indicated openness to public oversight in the handling of the case.

"We are open to public scrutiny. The handling of this case is being conducted professionally, transparently and accountably," he stated.

As previously reported, Dr Richard Lee once again answered a summons for questioning as a suspect in the alleged consumer protection violation case at Jakarta Metropolitan Police on Thursday, 19 February 2026.

This examination was the second, following an earlier postponement due to a legal challenge filed at the South Jakarta District Court.

Richard arrived wearing a white shirt and a white mask covering his mouth. He was accompanied by his legal counsel and immediately gave a statement to the media.
Tags: berita
View JSON | Print