Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Government Grants Komnas HAM Access to Investigate Intan Jaya Civilian Deaths

| Source: ANTARA_ID Translated from Indonesian | Politics
Government Grants Komnas HAM Access to Investigate Intan Jaya Civilian Deaths
Image: ANTARA_ID

The Indonesian government has opened access for the National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) to investigate the incident that resulted in civilian casualties in Intan Jaya, Central Papua. Coordinating Minister for Law, Human Rights, Immigration, and Corrections Yusril Ihza Mahendra stated this is part of efforts to ensure the law enforcement process proceeds objectively. Speaking at a joint press conference with Komnas HAM in Jakarta on Monday, Yusril said the government will investigate the civilian deaths, including a pregnant woman and her unborn baby who died as a result of the armed conflict in Papua. “The government will certainly take firm legal steps to conduct a massive investigation, especially regarding the civilian casualties, including the pregnant woman who died due to the armed contact in Papua,” he said. According to him, in addition to the internal investigation conducted by the government and the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI), Komnas HAM is also welcome to investigate independently to provide recommendations to the government. “Besides conducting an internal government and TNI investigation, the government is also providing an opportunity and inviting Komnas HAM to conduct an investigation into this case, and we will later hear what recommendations Komnas HAM submits to the government,” he stated. Yusril said the government is not turning a blind eye to civilian casualties in the armed conflict in Papua and continues to strive to minimise the impact on the community. He stressed that the investigation must be carried out fairly and impartially, considering the conflict involves armed groups and security forces, so the cause of the casualties must be proven through the legal process. “A fair and balanced investigation will uncover this case, and law enforcement steps must certainly be taken,” Yusril said. Previously, Komnas HAM gathered initial information regarding a firefight between security forces from the TNI’s Habema Operations Command and an armed group from the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB-OPM) that occurred in Wandoga Village, Sugapa District, Intan Jaya Regency, Central Papua, on Thursday evening (2/7). In the incident, a woman named Melkiana Duwitau, who was seven to eight months pregnant, died along with her unborn baby after being hit by a bullet while inside her home. Komnas HAM stated the incident occurred amid an escalation of widespread violence in Tanah Papua in recent days. The series of events also resulted in the deaths of a priest, a member of the armed group, a TNI soldier, and a foreign national pilot of a small commercial aircraft. The TNI stated that the bullet that struck Melkiana came from the armed group. Additionally, Komnas HAM obtained information about the burning of an Associated Mission Aviation (AMA) aircraft at Balinggama Airstrip, Sobaham District, Yahukimo Regency, on the same day. The incident was allegedly carried out by a TPNPB-OPM group from the Yahukimo region led by Elkius Kobak. In that incident, the pilot, an American citizen named Nicholas F. Goselin, was shot dead, while seven passengers, who are native Papuans, were reported to have survived. According to Komnas HAM records, an attack on a commercial aircraft also occurred at Koroway Batu Airstrip, Yahukimo, on 11 February 2026, which resulted in two pilots being shot dead. The institution suspects both attacks on aircraft in Yahukimo were carried out by the same group.

View JSON | Print