Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Gold Mine in Nabire Attacked by Armed Criminal Group: 2 Dead, 26 Chinese Nationals Evacuated

| Source: CNN_ID | Mining

Nabire Police Chief Senior Commissioner Samuel Tatiratu confirmed that two people were killed after the gold mining site of PT Kristalin Nabire in Legari, Nabire Regency, Central Papua, was attacked by an armed criminal group (KKB) led by Aibon Kogoya.

However, Samuel said he was not yet able to disclose the identities of the bodies found at the scene. Both remains are currently undergoing identification at Nabire Regional General Hospital.

“I am still in Legari, and to this point I have not received a report on the autopsy results for the bodies found at the PT Kristalin post,” Samuel told Antara on Sunday (22 February).

Workers and Chinese nationals evacuated

Samuel added that a joint team comprising military and police personnel is currently working to evacuate workers and 26 Chinese nationals present at the gold mining site.

“We are currently working to evacuate workers, including 26 Chinese nationals, from the mining location,” Samuel said.

He noted that his team would also evacuate artisanal gold miners, with searches being conducted along the Musairo River. On Saturday (21 February), approximately 75 people had already been evacuated.

The evacuations are being carried out to prevent further security disturbances by the armed criminal group.

“We are still working to evacuate both workers and artisanal miners in the vicinity of the Musairo River, Legari,” Samuel said.

View JSON | Print