Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

From Four Defendants in Andrie Yunus Acid Attack Case, Only Two Align with TAUD Investigation

| | Source: KOMPAS Translated from Indonesian | Legal
From Four Defendants in Andrie Yunus Acid Attack Case, Only Two Align with TAUD Investigation
Image: KOMPAS

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - The investigation team from the Advocacy Team for Democracy (TAUD) has revealed that of the four defendants in the acid attack case against KontraS deputy coordinator Andrie Yunus, who is currently on trial at Military Court II-08, Jakarta, only two perpetrators match their investigation findings.

The two defendants are also said to correspond with police findings, namely those with initials BHWC or BHW and MAK or ES according to the version of the Indonesian armed forces (TNI).

“The four people currently charged at the military hearing are only two who, so far, can be visually matched with what we can see,” said Ravio Patra, a member of TAUD’s investigative team, when speaking to journalists at the Metro Jaya Police Headquarters, on Tuesday, 19 May 2026.

Of the 16 people, three are members of the TNI, including BHW and ES.

TAUD says it has identified one other person suspected to be a TNI officer, but who is not a defendant in the military trial.

Meanwhile, the other 13 individuals are still suspected to be civilians because their identities are not yet known.

“So far we have found that at least three of the military personnel have been verified,” he said.

Accordingly, Ravio attended the investigators’ summons to present TAUD’s findings related to the case which they previously reported to the Criminal Investigation Agency (Bareskrim) of the Indonesian Police (Polri).

Andrie Yunus’s lawyer, Gema Gita Persada, hopes the police will not only accept the investigative documents but also follow up with deeper investigations, including identifying individuals captured on CCTV.

Gema said that Andrie still hopes that his case can be processed through the ordinary court system.

Meanwhile, another lawyer, Airlangga Julio, said the latest report submitted by his side is a critique of the handling of the case in the military judiciary.

Julio assessed that the chronology presented in the trial was incomplete due to a long gap and did not align with the findings of their investigation.

“For example, the chronology of events from 18:30 on the day of the acid attack jumps straight to 23:30 when the attack happened. Yet this is very different from the evidence and chronology we collected,” Julio said.

View JSON | Print