Four Key Facts About the Rp 25.8 Trillion Illegal Gold Money Laundering Case Under Investigation by Bareskrim
The Semar Gold Shop in Nganjuk, East Java, has been raided by the Directorate of Special Economic Crimes (Dittipideksus) of the National Police's Criminal Investigation Agency (Bareskrim). The raid is connected to suspected money laundering (TPPU) arising from illegal gold mining operations conducted without permits (PETI).
The underlying illegal mining case, which took place in West Kalimantan between 2019 and 2022, has already been tried and received a final and binding verdict from the Pontianak District Court.
"Today, investigators from Dittipideksus Bareskrim conducted simultaneous raids at three locations in the Surabaya and Nganjuk areas," said Brigadier General Ade Safri Simanjuntak, Director of Special Economic Crimes at Bareskrim, in a written statement on Thursday (19 February 2026).
The following are the key facts of the case:
**1. Illegal Gold Shipment Routes and Fund Flows Identified**
Ade explained that court proceedings had revealed the routes used to ship illegal gold and the flow of criminal proceeds. The funds from the criminal activity were found to have flowed to several parties.
"Based on the findings from the investigation of the predicate offence and the facts presented at trial, the routes for shipping illegal gold and the flow of proceeds from illegal mining that went to several parties have been identified," Ade Safri explained.
**2. Suspicious Transactions Worth Rp 25.8 Trillion**
Ade said investigators had secured documents and other evidence relating to the receipt, processing, and sale of gold from unlicensed mining operations. He noted that suspicious transactions had been identified at the shop.
"Investigators also collaborated with the PPATK in tracing financial transactions as part of uncovering this case," Ade said.
According to PPATK data, the total value of gold trading transactions from illegal mining during the 2019–2025 period reached Rp 25.8 trillion. The modus operandi involved purchasing gold originating from illegal mines, with the gold then sold partially or entirely to gold refining companies and exporting firms.
"This money laundering investigation is one of the law enforcement approaches whereby business operators who receive, utilise, process and/or refine, or sell any minerals originating from illegal mining will certainly face firm legal action," he said.
**3. Three Locations Raided in East Java**
Beyond the Semar Gold Shop in Nganjuk, investigators also raided two other locations. The simultaneous raids covered two sites in Nganjuk and one in Surabaya.
"Comprising transactions for purchasing gold originating from illegal mines as well as partial or full sales to several gold refining companies and exporting firms, today investigators carried out coercive measures at three locations simultaneously — two in Nganjuk and one in Surabaya, where we are currently conducting the raid," Ade said when met by journalists at Jalan Tampomas No. 3, Surabaya, on Thursday.
A number of police officers from the Provost and Sabhara units of the Surabaya Metropolitan Police were observed at the scene. Shortly after, officers in Bareskrim uniforms entered the premises at Jalan Tampomas No. 3.
Brigadier General Ade Safri Simanjuntak confirmed that the investigation team from Dittipideksus Bareskrim is conducting an inquiry into suspected joint money laundering offences.
**4. 37 Witnesses Examined**
Ade explained that dozens of individuals had already been examined as witnesses during the investigation.
"A total of 37 witnesses have been examined during the course of the investigation," Ade said.
The underlying illegal mining case, which took place in West Kalimantan between 2019 and 2022, has already been tried and received a final and binding verdict from the Pontianak District Court.
"Today, investigators from Dittipideksus Bareskrim conducted simultaneous raids at three locations in the Surabaya and Nganjuk areas," said Brigadier General Ade Safri Simanjuntak, Director of Special Economic Crimes at Bareskrim, in a written statement on Thursday (19 February 2026).
The following are the key facts of the case:
**1. Illegal Gold Shipment Routes and Fund Flows Identified**
Ade explained that court proceedings had revealed the routes used to ship illegal gold and the flow of criminal proceeds. The funds from the criminal activity were found to have flowed to several parties.
"Based on the findings from the investigation of the predicate offence and the facts presented at trial, the routes for shipping illegal gold and the flow of proceeds from illegal mining that went to several parties have been identified," Ade Safri explained.
**2. Suspicious Transactions Worth Rp 25.8 Trillion**
Ade said investigators had secured documents and other evidence relating to the receipt, processing, and sale of gold from unlicensed mining operations. He noted that suspicious transactions had been identified at the shop.
"Investigators also collaborated with the PPATK in tracing financial transactions as part of uncovering this case," Ade said.
According to PPATK data, the total value of gold trading transactions from illegal mining during the 2019–2025 period reached Rp 25.8 trillion. The modus operandi involved purchasing gold originating from illegal mines, with the gold then sold partially or entirely to gold refining companies and exporting firms.
"This money laundering investigation is one of the law enforcement approaches whereby business operators who receive, utilise, process and/or refine, or sell any minerals originating from illegal mining will certainly face firm legal action," he said.
**3. Three Locations Raided in East Java**
Beyond the Semar Gold Shop in Nganjuk, investigators also raided two other locations. The simultaneous raids covered two sites in Nganjuk and one in Surabaya.
"Comprising transactions for purchasing gold originating from illegal mines as well as partial or full sales to several gold refining companies and exporting firms, today investigators carried out coercive measures at three locations simultaneously — two in Nganjuk and one in Surabaya, where we are currently conducting the raid," Ade said when met by journalists at Jalan Tampomas No. 3, Surabaya, on Thursday.
A number of police officers from the Provost and Sabhara units of the Surabaya Metropolitan Police were observed at the scene. Shortly after, officers in Bareskrim uniforms entered the premises at Jalan Tampomas No. 3.
Brigadier General Ade Safri Simanjuntak confirmed that the investigation team from Dittipideksus Bareskrim is conducting an inquiry into suspected joint money laundering offences.
**4. 37 Witnesses Examined**
Ade explained that dozens of individuals had already been examined as witnesses during the investigation.
"A total of 37 witnesses have been examined during the course of the investigation," Ade said.