Former Lawyer of Lukas Enembe Files PK, Citing MK's Change to Article Hindering Investigation
Former lawyer of ex-Papua Governor Lukas Enembe, Stefanus Roy Rening, has filed a judicial review (PK) in the case of obstructing an investigation. Roy cites the Constitutional Court (MK) ruling on obstructing investigations in corruption cases.
“So I am on conditional release on 15 November (2025). I have only served 4 months; on 2 March the MK decision was issued. This is my birthday gift; the MK decision is a gift from God, and I am filing this with my team from Peradi RBA, the organisation I am affiliated with, and my fellow fighters for upholding the law and justice. So I feel that constitutionally, my rights can be fought for again through the legal remedy of PK,” said Roy at the Central Jakarta District Court on Monday (6/4/2026).
Roy’s lawyer, Irianto Subiakto, stated that one of the novums brought is the Constitutional Court Decision Number 71/PUU-XXIII/2025 regarding Article 21 of the Corruption Eradication Law (UU Tipikor). Irianto said that the article was declared unconstitutional by the MK judges.
“The MK Decision Number 71 regarding Article 21 of the UU Tipikor is unconstitutional, while Roy was charged, prosecuted, and sentenced based on that Article 21. So if the law is declared unconstitutional, there should be no punishment. That is the novum,” he said.
He claimed there was a judicial error in Roy’s decision. According to him, Roy should have been declared not guilty following the MK decision.
“Yes, among other things, the MK decision because the basis for the consideration of being found guilty includes proof of the element of directly or indirectly obstructing the investigation. That’s the core. If the element of directly or indirectly is declared unconstitutional, he should be declared not guilty,” he said.
Irianto hopes the panel of judges will grant the PK petition. He also hopes Roy’s good name will be restored.
“Yes, the hope is that the decision will be corrected, then Roy declared not guilty, and his good name restored,” he said.
Previously, the Supreme Court (MA) had decided on the cassation petition of former lawyer of Lukas Enembe, Stefanus Roy Rening. The MA rejected the cassation petition filed by Roy Rening.
“Rejecting the cassation petition from the Cassation Petitioner/Defendant Stefanus Roy Rening,” reads the cassation decision, quoted on Tuesday (5/11).
The decision was handed down on 9 October 2024. The cassation panel that gave the decision was Dwiarso Budi Santiarto as chief judge with member judges Arizon Mega Jaya and Sutarjo.
Thus, Roy has received a final and binding decision and must serve a prison sentence of 4 years and 6 months. Roy Rening himself was designated as a suspect in the case of obstructing the investigation into Lukas Enembe’s corruption.