Foreign Minister: Indonesia sends 8,000 troops rather than paying 1 billion US dollars
Jakarta (ANTARA) - Foreign Minister Sugiono stated that Indonesia has become a permanent member of the Board of Peace (BoP) despite not remitting a contribution of 1 billion US dollars.
According to Sugiono, the 1 billion US dollar contribution previously discussed was neither a mandatory fee nor a condition for permanent membership. Instead, Indonesia is contributing through the deployment of 8,000 peacekeeping troops.
"From the outset, I said that this is not a membership fee. It is not a membership requirement, no. We are now members — there is no need to pay, and that is perfectly fine," Sugiono said during a press briefing in Washington DC on Friday evening (20 February) local time.
He sought to correct the perception that Indonesia had not remitted funds, thereby calling its membership status into question. According to him, there is no obligation to pay a specific fee to become a permanent member of the forum.
The earlier discussion regarding the 1 billion US dollar figure referred to a contribution scheme applicable when a country wishes to assume a particular role, such as becoming a permanent member. However, this differs from the ordinary membership status currently held by Indonesia.
Regarding claims of funding commitments amounting to 5 to 7 billion US dollars, Sugiono said these figures represent pledges from several other countries and fall outside the Board of Peace membership fee framework.
Contribution mechanisms can take various forms. In addition to funds and troops, there are also individual contribution schemes channelled through dedicated accounts, including those managed by the World Bank.
As a form of tangible contribution, Indonesia has opted to participate through the deployment of peacekeeping forces. The government is preparing approximately 8,000 personnel to support missions agreed upon within the forum.
"Some contribute money, some contribute troops, and some make individual transfers to the World Bank account established recently," he explained.
According to Sugiono, the 1 billion US dollar contribution previously discussed was neither a mandatory fee nor a condition for permanent membership. Instead, Indonesia is contributing through the deployment of 8,000 peacekeeping troops.
"From the outset, I said that this is not a membership fee. It is not a membership requirement, no. We are now members — there is no need to pay, and that is perfectly fine," Sugiono said during a press briefing in Washington DC on Friday evening (20 February) local time.
He sought to correct the perception that Indonesia had not remitted funds, thereby calling its membership status into question. According to him, there is no obligation to pay a specific fee to become a permanent member of the forum.
The earlier discussion regarding the 1 billion US dollar figure referred to a contribution scheme applicable when a country wishes to assume a particular role, such as becoming a permanent member. However, this differs from the ordinary membership status currently held by Indonesia.
Regarding claims of funding commitments amounting to 5 to 7 billion US dollars, Sugiono said these figures represent pledges from several other countries and fall outside the Board of Peace membership fee framework.
Contribution mechanisms can take various forms. In addition to funds and troops, there are also individual contribution schemes channelled through dedicated accounts, including those managed by the World Bank.
As a form of tangible contribution, Indonesia has opted to participate through the deployment of peacekeeping forces. The government is preparing approximately 8,000 personnel to support missions agreed upon within the forum.
"Some contribute money, some contribute troops, and some make individual transfers to the World Bank account established recently," he explained.