Foreign Minister Condemns Israel's Inhumane Actions Against Global Sumud Flotilla Volunteers: A Serious Violation
Foreign Minister Sugiono reaffirmed the Indonesian government’s stance, condemning Israel’s inhumane actions against volunteers aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF). He described Israel’s actions as a serious violation of international law.
The Indonesian government reiterates its condemnation of the inhumane treatment endured by the volunteers during their detention. Acts that demean the dignity of civilians in a humanitarian mission constitute a serious violation of international humanitarian law that cannot be tolerated, said Sugiono in a statement on Thursday (21 May 2026).
The government continues to oversee the repatriation process of nine Indonesian nationals detained in Israel who were part of the Global Sumud Flotilla, until they return home. Sugiono praised Turkey’s active role in the repatriation of all Indonesian citizens and thanked President Prabowo Subianto for his guidance.
‘The Indonesian government will continue to monitor this repatriation process until all Indonesian citizens return home safely. We also thank all Indonesian citizens who have prayed for the safety of our brothers and sisters who were detained, and we also thank the President for his guidance so that the process can proceed smoothly,’ he said.
The repatriation of all Indonesian citizens is the result of hard work and coordination between the government and the Indonesian Embassies in Ankara and other parties. Sugiono also expressed gratitude for the attention of the Commission I of the DPR and the support of the public.
‘This positive development is the fruit of hard work and close coordination undertaken by the Indonesian Government since receiving reports of the GSF 2.0 flotilla’s interception. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through the Directorate for the Protection of Indonesian Citizens, has optimised all available diplomatic channels, including through the Indonesian Embassies in Ankara, Cairo, Rome, Amman, and the Consulate General in Istanbul, and has established active communication with authorities and international partners to ensure the safety and expedited release of all Indonesian citizens,’ he added.
The Steering Committee of the Global Sumud Flotilla and the Global Peace Convoy Coordinating Board, Maimon Herawati, previously said that the nine Indonesian nationals detained by Israeli soldiers had been released. They have since been flown to Turkey.
‘We have just received a list of names from Israel that was given to the lawyers there, and within it the nine Indonesian nationals are listed. What we need to wait for now is the aircraft manifest. Whether the nine are on the plane, and with that, we will provide an update in 2–3 hours,’ Herawati said in a video recording received on Thursday (21 May).