Foreign Media Spotlight Train Collision in East Bekasi, Calling It This
Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia - Foreign media are now spotlighting the deadly train accident that occurred in East Bekasi after two train sets reportedly collided on Monday (27/4/2026) night. This fatal incident involving a long-distance train and a commuter train resulted in several fatalities and dozens of others injured on the outskirts of the Indonesian capital, Jakarta.
The British news agency, Reuters, in an article titled “At least four killed in train collision on outskirts of Indonesian capital”, reported that at least four people were killed and 38 others injured in the incident. Spokesperson for the commuter line operator, Karina Amanda, provided statements to the media regarding the primary focus of personnel at the scene.
“We are focused on evacuating passengers and train crew,” Amanda said.
In the same report, spokesperson for the Indonesian railway operator, Anne Purba, stated through a written statement that four people were killed and 38 others had been evacuated to the nearest hospitals. Anne also confirmed that all 240 passengers on the long-distance train were safe, although the number of victims from the commuter train and local residents was still being tallied.
The United States’ Associated Press (AP), in an article titled “Trains collide near Indonesia’s capital, killing at least 4 people”, reported that the sequence of events began when the long-distance train Argo Bromo Anggrek struck the rear carriage of the stationary commuter train at Bekasi Timur Station. Ironically, the carriage that was hit was a women-only carriage typically used to avoid harassment.
Metro Jaya Police Chief, Inspector General of Police Asep Edi Suheri, stated to the media that investigations into the incident were still ongoing by the authorities to determine the exact cause of the accident.
“Investigations into the incident are still ongoing,” Suheri said.
Rescue teams reportedly had to work extra hard using electric grinders to cut through the metal frame of the train compartment to reach five passengers trapped inside the severely damaged commuter carriage. At the scene, at least 20 ambulances were on standby to transport victims to medical facilities.
Meanwhile, Australia’s Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), in its report titled “Train collision near Jakarta kills four and hospitalises dozens as mass evacuation underway”, reported that PT KAI, the train operator, had issued an official apology for the incident. The company emphasised that passenger and crew safety was the top priority in handling this disaster.
KAI spokesperson, Franoto Wibowo, explained to the media about the marathon evacuation efforts conducted since Monday night.
“Regarding the victims, we have done everything possible to evacuate them as quickly as possible to the nearest hospitals. We are still in the process of gathering data and evidence. Detailed chronology regarding the cause will be provided later by the relevant authorities,” Wibowo said.
The atmosphere at Bekasi Timur Station was reported to be tense with many victims’ families arriving to seek information about their relatives. Photos from the scene showed shattered train panels and bent windows due to the hard impact between the Argo Bromo Anggrek and the commuter train.