Flooding Submerges Bidara Cina in East Jakarta, Reaching 1.7 Metres
Jakarta (ANTARA) — Flooding has once again submerged the Tanjung Lengkong area of Bidara Cina sub-district, Jatinegara, East Jakarta, with water levels reaching as high as 1.7 metres.
Bidara Cina sub-district head Suhartono said heavy rainfall that had been lashing southern Jakarta since the early hours of Friday was the primary cause of the rising water levels in the area.
"Since dawn, at around 04.30 local time, heavy rain has continued to pour across the southern area. Based on early flood warnings, the status at Katulampa, Manggarai and Depok had reached alert level 3," Suhartono said at the Bidara Cina sub-district office in East Jakarta on Friday.
Water levels reached 1.7 metres at the deepest point, specifically in Gang Macan, RT 05/RW 07.
According to Suhartono, water began entering residential areas at approximately 11.00 local time and continued to rise throughout the afternoon.
"The highest point is in Gang Macan RT 05 RW 07, reaching 170 centimetres since 17.00 local time. The rise began at around 11.00 and continued through the afternoon," he said.
The high water level at Manggarai, which remained at alert level 3, caused water flow to be held back, affecting downstream areas including Bidara Cina.
"The water appears to be held back because Manggarai is still at alert level 3, so the flow has not fully receded," Suhartono explained.
As a result of the flooding, at least 500 households, or approximately 1,300 residents, in RW 07 have been affected. However, no residents have yet been evacuated.
"For the time being, no one has evacuated. Hopefully the water will recede quickly as it has now stopped raining," Suhartono said.
Joint personnel have been deployed to stand by at the location, including Babinsa neighbourhood military officers, Bimaspol community police officers, Indonesian military and police forces, the Water Resources Agency (SDA), and the Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD).
"At alert level 3 status, all our colleagues from Babinsa, Bimaspol, the military, police, SDA and BPBD are on standby at the location," he said.
Despite the considerable inundation, Suhartono confirmed that the diversion inlet leading to the East Flood Canal (KBT) was still functioning normally. This is expected to help accelerate the recession of floodwaters once upstream flow begins to decrease.
The sub-district administration continues to monitor water level developments and coordinate with relevant agencies to anticipate possible further rises, particularly if rain resumes in upstream areas.
Suhartono urged residents to remain vigilant and immediately report to officials should they require evacuation or emergency assistance.
Bidara Cina sub-district head Suhartono said heavy rainfall that had been lashing southern Jakarta since the early hours of Friday was the primary cause of the rising water levels in the area.
"Since dawn, at around 04.30 local time, heavy rain has continued to pour across the southern area. Based on early flood warnings, the status at Katulampa, Manggarai and Depok had reached alert level 3," Suhartono said at the Bidara Cina sub-district office in East Jakarta on Friday.
Water levels reached 1.7 metres at the deepest point, specifically in Gang Macan, RT 05/RW 07.
According to Suhartono, water began entering residential areas at approximately 11.00 local time and continued to rise throughout the afternoon.
"The highest point is in Gang Macan RT 05 RW 07, reaching 170 centimetres since 17.00 local time. The rise began at around 11.00 and continued through the afternoon," he said.
The high water level at Manggarai, which remained at alert level 3, caused water flow to be held back, affecting downstream areas including Bidara Cina.
"The water appears to be held back because Manggarai is still at alert level 3, so the flow has not fully receded," Suhartono explained.
As a result of the flooding, at least 500 households, or approximately 1,300 residents, in RW 07 have been affected. However, no residents have yet been evacuated.
"For the time being, no one has evacuated. Hopefully the water will recede quickly as it has now stopped raining," Suhartono said.
Joint personnel have been deployed to stand by at the location, including Babinsa neighbourhood military officers, Bimaspol community police officers, Indonesian military and police forces, the Water Resources Agency (SDA), and the Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD).
"At alert level 3 status, all our colleagues from Babinsa, Bimaspol, the military, police, SDA and BPBD are on standby at the location," he said.
Despite the considerable inundation, Suhartono confirmed that the diversion inlet leading to the East Flood Canal (KBT) was still functioning normally. This is expected to help accelerate the recession of floodwaters once upstream flow begins to decrease.
The sub-district administration continues to monitor water level developments and coordinate with relevant agencies to anticipate possible further rises, particularly if rain resumes in upstream areas.
Suhartono urged residents to remain vigilant and immediately report to officials should they require evacuation or emergency assistance.