Indonesian Political, Business & Finance News

Flash flood kills two, injures nine

| Source: JP
Flash flood kills two, injures nine

Apriadi Gunawan, The Jakarta Post/Medan

Two people perished and nine others were injured when flash
floods on Wednesday night hit two villages in Central Tapanuli
regency, some 400 kilometers southwest of Medan, the capital of
North Sumatra.

The disaster, which was caused by torrential rains, also
destroyed hundreds of residents' homes and dozens of hectares of
rice paddy in the villages of Utte Boang and Gabungan Hasang
Barus in Sosor Gadong districts.

As many as 125 residents of the 1,250 inhabitants of Utte
Boang were reported to be still taking refuge in emergency tents,
as their homes had been ravaged by the floods.

Sosor Gadong district chief Hotlan Simanulang on Friday said
that the refugees were so far still in good condition and a
quantity of relief aid had been distributed including rice,
instant noodles, medicine, bottled water and clothing.

He said that hundreds of residents, together with personnel
from the military and Central Tapanuli administration office,
were now working hard to clear rocks and mud covering roads and
residents' houses.

Hotlan added that the floods, followed by mudslides, had
totally cut several roads in Sosor Gadong district, including a
two kilometer section of the provincial highway that was covered
in rocks and earth, totally severing traffic between Barus
district and Sibolga.

"We are now trying to reopen the roads, as this is crucial to
facilitate relief aid. Besides that, we are constantly helping
flood victims, especially those who are still staying in refugee
tents," Hotlan told The Jakarta Post.

Hotlan said that the dead victims were listed as Lisdaria
Galingging, 45, and her daughter, Butet Simatupang, 11.

The nine injured victims still being treated at the local
hospital are, Samsir Simatupang, Naula Situmorang, Adikman
Limbong, Aturan Limbong, Lina Limbong, Thomas Limbong, Peris and
Tibur, all from Utte Boang, the hardest hit village.

According to a number of eyewitnesses, the disaster struck at
about 8:00 p.m. local time, following three hours of torrential
rain.

One of the survivors, Teris Limbong, said that heavy downpours
had led a number of villages to be submerged in water and rocks
coming from the direction of the mountain started to fall on
residents' houses. They then fled to safety.

Teris said that Lisdaria Galingging was at that time able to
save her two children, but she went back to her house to salvage
her belongings while carrying her daughter, Butet.

However, while she was busy recovering her belongings, a flash
flood swept down from the mountain and destroyed the houses.

"Residents were panicked and terrified that night because the
flood, followed by mudslides, came down so suddenly from the
mountain. It was short but terrifying. We tried to flee to a
safer place," said Teris, adding that residents were busy
searching for their relatives after the flood subsided.

Teris said that the bodies of Lisdarita and her daughter were
found an hour after the tragedy in a rice field.
View JSON | Print